Tire Tread Width

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Tire Tread Width

I have a 1939 Commander 9A Sedan. In process of replacing tires and need to know what is the correct tread width for 6.00-16 tires (standard size) or 6.50-16 tires (optional size)?

Do you mean in metric sizes?
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

6 = 152.4 mm

6.5 =165.1mm

The width measurement is not actually the tread measurement, but "section width" at its widest. The tread width is normally smaller than section width.

Comment

Some folks have been using light truck radials, 205 or 205x85 16's I think?

Comment

Just in case you didn't know: Coker Tire and several other companies sell vintage tires in the original sizes.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
            Just in case you didn't know: Coker Tire and several other companies sell vintage tires in the original sizes.
            They also sell radial tires that look like bias ply tires.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thank you, all! I got some 6.00-16 Coker tires, but failed to check the tread width before ordering. Those I received had a tread width of 4.13" , which are too narrow for my application. I returned these, and am now doing the research I SHOULD have done previously.

Comment

What width do you desire?

Comment

FYI, I was very happy with Sears 6.50 x 16's on my '41 Commander.

Comment

I'm thinking ~5" wide tread. Am leaning toward 6.50-16 tires

Comment

Up to 7 x 16 was optional on the CE.

Comment

I'm curious.

In all of my years working on old cars, I have never seen/heard a discussion about tread width. It's always been about tire overall diameter and/or sidewall width.

When did tread width become a focal point of old car tire discussion?
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Since post #1? This thread?

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                            Since post #1? This thread?
                            Hahahahahaha!!

Comment

Working...
                            X