Almost showroom new.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost showroom new.

Today I was lucky enough to see probably the lowest mileage Stude outside of the Studebaker Museum. 5500 or so genuine miles. Vehicle appears to be in excellent condition with very few age blemishes. It is a 1964 South Bend built 259 automatic Cruiser in white with red interior and RHD for Australian delivery. Paint, interior, dash, underbody all just like new. All the rubbers in the master cylinder and wheel cylinders have perished with age. Factory decal in the lower centre of the windscreen setting out services and a tyre placard fixed in the glovebox.

52 years new.

It is amazing that vehicles of this calibre still surface after all this time.

Ken

Wow Ken
    What a find
    If it has a 259 in it will be an Australian built car and a bit different from what a US Cruiser would have been supplied state side as.
    I am returning from the French European International meet and currently in Normandy visiting a bloke with a 13, 25 and 29 Studebaker.
    Would love to see some detail pictures of your car.
    Regards
    Greg Diffen
    Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
    1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
    1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
    1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
    1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
    1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Hi Greg,

Unfortunately not my car; but a friends. When I get a chance I will get some photographs and serial numbers. It would have been assembled here by Canada Car & Cycle in Tottenham, a suburb of Melbourne. Jim Quigley a member here would have most likely done the pre delivery service on it. Hopefully I have those 'facts' correct. I'm sure Jim will correct me if they are not correct.

Ken

Comment

Hi Ken, check out posting Lowest mileage RHC cruiser in the world.
        Unfortunately the pictures don't come up any more on the Forum site and I have deleted the ones I had .
        My buddy was friends with the original owner and his father-in-law ended up with the car four years ago and he told me last week he had just sold it.
        Obviously you know the new owner?
        Brian Greenall
        Melbourne, OZ
        sigpic

Comment

Hello Brian.

Long time no see.

Obviously you know the vehicle. I think it was last week that it was picked up from Lilydale way. It is now local to me; but I don't know if the new owner wants to be named. It would appear that some clown who removed the lhr brake drum possibly for a roadworthy check hit the end of the axle with something hard ( big hammer) and bruised the axle thread and then forced the nut on the swollen thread; knackering the nut. I delivered a spare nut today and with a thread file the damaged 1st thread was made good. All good again. Why do these morons do things like this to such a rare car. Ignorance is no excuse.

Ken

Comment

Talk about low miles- I was at the Lexington Cars & Coffee last Saturday - no Studebaker's but a very nice Volvo P1800 and this Vette.
            It was purchased out of a coal miners office with 18 miles on it 2 years ago! He liked it so much he kept it in his office. It currently has 90 miles on it. The owner said he will take it to Bloomington gold either this year or next. It is a trailer queen and he is afraid to drive it anywhere. It is a 427/435 horse that is beutiful. Too bad it will for ever be a trailer queen. Have fun.
            Attached Files

Comment

I woudld be interested in getting information for this cruiser for the 1964 Cruiser registry I am keeping. Please send info on the car and pictures.

Thanks

Mark

Comment

Mark,

This is an Australian delivery Cruiser and apparently different to what was sold as a Cruiser in the States.

When I get a chance to photograph this vehicle (read; the weather fines up a bit) I will post them if the owner gives permission.

Ken

Comment

SC38DLS, that's unbelievably on the 435 hp vette!
                  I actually restore those cars, I would have loved to have seen it. The NCRS guys are going to go crazy over that one!
                  You couldn't drive it!
                  Ken, did the 64 have its original wheels back on it cause last time I saw it he had some odd ball wheels on it?
                  I have a die nut for the axle threads if he gets stuck, I actually see my buddy who has the factory next door to your mate who owns the 64 in Lilydale so I can drop it into him.
                  Brian Greenall
                  Melbourne, OZ
                  sigpic

Comment

Brian,
                    the car is now in the Goulburn Valley. Thanks for the offer of the die nut; but it was only the first thread that was expanded and the thread file did the job nicely. It still has the 14" mags on it; but the original wheels and tyres came with it. Sporting very old Dunlop crossplies with plenty of crazing on the sidewalls. Original wheels will be fitted with new tyres and put back on.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                    X