Studebaker - 55 Years Plus.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker - 55 Years Plus.

The attached Studebaker employee pin image for 55 loyal years of service from the thirties makes me reflect how long I have been connected with Studebaker since our Melbourne Australia firm, Canada Cycle & Motor Co began assembly of CKD boxed kits from South Bend in early 1960. They made their own Assembly Jigs from fully imported RHC Studebaker cars & commercials.
    That was an interesting six years until we ceased production in 1966 with the Chev powered Cruisers & over six thousand assembled units in total. That included over three hundred two & four door Larks & Cruisers built & equipped for our State of Victoria Police Force.
    Since then I've remained associated with Studebakers by buying, repairing & selling up tp thirty examples of various models in my spare time plus my long term ownership of a RHC South Bend '64 Hawk. I also have a passion for collecting Studebaker Memorabilia. My relationship with Studebaker has been long & fruitful including attendances at fifteen SDC International Meets.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02132.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1750904

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
    MELBOURNE.

Good for you Jim. I am just two years behind having started in 1962, but then again you are a lot older than I. By the way Happy 80th!
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

That's very interesting. It is fortunate that you were there at an exciting time to witness and record some history for other Australian Studebaker enthusiasts.

I have been curious about how foreign assembly plants set up their various jigs. Its a shame there aren't any surviving Australian assembled 1960 models, at least in restorable condition.

Happy 80th Jim.

Chris.

Comment

Dear Jim
        Happy birthday from Normandy where I am visiting a Studebaker person before we leave for the uk tonight

Many happy returns
        You have always set a fine example

Regards
        Greg Diffen
        Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
        1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
        1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
        1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
        1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
        1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Happy Birthday James !
          Its always nice to hear from you and your special pictures of your collection you send periodically
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Happy Birthday Jim. I'm right behind you with 53 years Studebaker association and an 83rd birthday coming up later this year.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Working...
            X