65-66 Stude As First Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65-66 Stude As First Car

My son is almost 16, and has said for the past few years, he wants an Avanti. I have quietly looked at several Avanti IIs on the internet, but nothing in our price range. Also, a little concerned about a sports car, of any kind, as his first car.

More recently, I've been looking at 65-66 Studes, and he has taken a liking to them too. There have been several nice ones come along, and usually priced reasonably. It looks like they tend to include more options, and I know they are good, solid cars. I once owned a 65 Daytona SS, and still have fond memories of the butter smooth, dependable 283.

OTOH, we recently got him a 2000 Buick. But if the right Stude were to come along, we could always sell the Buick. However, no Stude is anywhere near as safe as a modern Buick or any other modern car, for that matter. Also, gas MPG is a concern, and Studes are not even close to what most modern cars are capable of.

OTOH, it sure would be nice to have braggin rights to having one of the youngest members of the SDC in our household, who actually would drive a Stude

Decisions. Decisions.

Joe, you and I looked at that nice 65 or 66 at the car corral on Friday. Now I know why! That or one like it would make a sweet first ride for your son. Go for it!
    Mike Davis
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNewby View Post
      Joe, you and I looked at that nice 65 or 66 at the car corral on Friday. Now I know why! That or one like it would make a sweet first ride for your son. Go for it!
      Mike; Was that one a Sports Sedan?

Joe, I think you definitely made the right choice nixing the Avanti II plan!
      The Insurance alone will shoot his budget in the head for sure.

The Buick MPG being good will depend on which Model it is, some would not be great and depending on how many miles per year, the Stude. could be affordable especially if he could learn to drive a 3 Speed Overdrive.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Joe, I once had a 65 Cruiser V8 with Automatic and a 3:07 rear. it was My Daily Driver from 88 to 96 Year round,and was a nice Highway "CRUISER"
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Being an owner of both a 65 and a 66 I totally agree that would be a great 1st car ( and even your last )
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Joe

I'm always worried about young folks in older cars, particularly with today's traffic and other distractions they have. If I were to have my son/daughter drive an old car, an Avanti would probably be near the bottom of the list. They are not sports cars but are awful fragile around other cars. Bumpers don't protect much, bump a tree, other car etc and you will be doing fiberglass repair. They are prone to more electrical gremlins also.

A quick story, my two 16 YO grand daughters were going to get an ice cream cone one day in my daughters newer Buick. The one driving, wise and careful beyond her years pulled up to a stop sign, stopped and pulled out infront of a Silverado in a 50 MPH zone. Truck took the Buick right in the drivers side cowl. Every air bag in the Buick went off keeping both grand daughters safe and almost uninjured. As did the ones in the Silverado.

Everyone walked away from the accident with no harm due to the newer car designs. You could argue it was my grand daughter fault, which it was, and she should have been paying more attention, which see should. But she didn't see the truck because of something and, certainly, inattention which of all the grand kids you would say she is the least likely to do this.

I know we have one member building a Studebaker for his daughter and I support what he is doing but for my kids, I'd have a newer vehicle until they had a lot of miles under their arse.

Practice makes per----!! well at least better. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
              My son is almost 16, and has said for the past few years, he wants an Avanti. I have quietly looked at several Avanti IIs on the internet, but nothing in our price range. Also, a little concerned about a sports car, of any kind, as his first car.

More recently, I've been looking at 65-66 Studes, and he has taken a liking to them too. There have been several nice ones come along, and usually priced reasonably. It looks like they tend to include more options, and I know they are good, solid cars. I once owned a 65 Daytona SS, and still have fond memories of the butter smooth, dependable 283.

OTOH, we recently got him a 2000 Buick. But if the right Stude were to come along, we could always sell the Buick. However, no Stude is anywhere near as safe as a modern Buick or any other modern car, for that matter. Also, gas MPG is a concern, and Studes are not even close to what most modern cars are capable of.

OTOH, it sure would be nice to have braggin rights to having one of the youngest members of the SDC in our household, who actually would drive a Stude

Decisions. Decisions.
              Well Joe, you know your son. We can only speculate. Collectively, all the rest of us can suggest is from the perspective of our own experiences, and by making assumptions, without the insight you have of your son's judgement, and maturity. However, as we know, in today's times, your son is being launched into a world of highways full of folks "high" on stuff most of us (at his age) had never encountered...add, "distracted texters"...that may be even more dangerous. Another issue, hard for us "car" folks to identify with, is the "lack of respect and appreciation," for vintage cars. There are tons of folks who simply view our older vehicles as a nuisance. Whether sitting in a parking space, or on the road, some people view our cars as just another candidate for "roadkill."

In view of this, my suggestion is to make, any Studebaker, his FIRST SECOND car! Keep the Buick (ugh, typing that is like biting into a green persimmon, due to my negative GM bias). Assist him as your money will allow, but figure a way to be sure he has enough sweat equity into the deal to appreciate and value what he has. From your postings, I think it is safe to say you have provided a good example of how to maintain, drive, and treat these vintage vehicles.

As for my experience/perspective...I kinda develop a weariness of vehicles I have to spend a lot of time in. As I worked a large sales territory, I spent a lot of time driving. When I was working, I didn't want to get back into my everyday vehicle on weekends, or evenings. Even for the years I spent using my Lark as my main sales car...after returning home, I would choose another vehicle for local errands, and outings. If you can swing it...a more modern ride for the daily routine, will keep the Studebaker in reserve as a "ride of choice," rather than a target of dependency, and the resentment that sometimes accompanies that relationship.

What ever you decide, all the best to you and your son!
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

As a former insurance adjuster, keep him in the Buick. If you want to get him a toy, keep it a toy. In the collision business, I see a LOT of cars driven by new drivers in the shop for repairs. Some are their fault and some are the fault of others. I'd keep him in the Buick until 18. Get him the Studebaker as a graduation gift.
                Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I'll add one more vote for the newer car! Air bags and crumple zones are necessary equipment for new drivers on today's busy roads.
                  Oglesby,Il.

Comment

We are letting our 16 YO son drive our 59 Lark as much as he wants. We also have a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee for him to drive. I cannot see the practicality of a Stude as an ONLY car for him. From personal experience, I usually had to own two older cars so I could always have ONE running while I was working on the other. It was still less expensive to own the older ones together than to own one newish car.

Safety is an issue. However, I grew up in that car and NEVER had an accident. I also drove carefully. So does he. Can it happen? Yes. we all take risks every day.

Get him the Stude so other people can ask HIM: "Who makes Studebaker?"

Oh, and my Stude gets 17-22 MPG regularly with a V8 and A/T. Better than EVERY other vehicle I own.
                    Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                    1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Safety Equipment in a 2002 Buick (doesn't matter the model)

Dual Front Air Bags
                      Front Crumple Zones
                      High Strength Steel Safety Cage
                      Collapsible Steering Column
                      High Strength Steel Frame Rails (Frt & Rear)
                      Side Impact Door Beams
                      Padded Dash Pads
                      3-Point Seat Belts
                      Anti-Lock Braking System
                      Power Brakes
                      Power Steering
                      4 Wheel Disc Brakes
                      Radial Tires
                      Halogen Headlamps
                      Air Conditioning
                      Tinted Glass

1959-1966 Studebaker (any model)
                      Front Disc Brakes (maybe)
                      Power Brakes (maybe)
                      Radial Tires (maybe)
                      Air Conditioning (maybe)
                      Tinted Glass (maybe)
                      Power Steering (maybe)

Taking risks everyday doesn't include your kids. Putting a kid in a vintage car to satisfy your ego or so that others can ask them "Who makes Studebaker" is asshattery. Again, let them make their own decision to have a vintage car or not. If they want one, give it to them as a graduation gift.
                      Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

You have actually already made your decision. You have chosen a fairly safe, disposable, practical automobile for everyday use. As we get older, we forget the improvements made in car design and safety as we simply drove them. The best safety device, of course, is the driver. Even as the industry and regulations move towards removing them from the equation (self driving cars), there will still be a mix of these "totally safe" cars and "normal" on the road for years to come. Go ahead and buy a repairable Avanti, fix it together. Then turn it over to him to use when done and he sees fit--he will be a much safer driver in it than any other car he ever owns.

Comment

Maybe I should make him wear a motorcycle helmet, shoulder pads, and wrap him in bubble wrap to drive ANY car.

Asshattery.........BAH!

Just let me know when your kid is on the road and I won't have to worry about it.....

Now, please explain to me HOW Air Conditioning is SAFETY EQUIPMENT? Any asshat can list every conceived option on a car.

BTW, You missed bumper guards on the Studebaker. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!?!?!?! Mine even has the PADDED DASH STRIP for the knees! WooHoo!!!!!!

What car did you learn in? What was YOUR first car? A Sherman tank or a Palomino?

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
                          Safety Equipment in a 2002 Buick (doesn't matter the model)

Dual Front Air Bags
                          Front Crumple Zones
                          High Strength Steel Safety Cage
                          Collapsible Steering Column
                          High Strength Steel Frame Rails (Frt & Rear)
                          Side Impact Door Beams
                          Padded Dash Pads
                          3-Point Seat Belts
                          Anti-Lock Braking System
                          Power Brakes
                          Power Steering
                          4 Wheel Disc Brakes
                          Radial Tires
                          Halogen Headlamps
                          Air Conditioning
                          Tinted Glass

1959-1966 Studebaker (any model)
                          Front Disc Brakes (maybe)
                          Power Brakes (maybe)
                          Radial Tires (maybe)
                          Air Conditioning (maybe)
                          Tinted Glass (maybe)
                          Power Steering (maybe)

Taking risks everyday doesn't include your kids. Putting a kid in a vintage car to satisfy your ego or so that others can ask them "Who makes Studebaker" is asshattery. Again, let them make their own decision to have a vintage car or not. If they want one, give it to them as a graduation gift.
                          Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                          1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Originally posted by BILT4ME View Post
                            Maybe I should make him wear a motorcycle helmet, shoulder pads, and wrap him in bubble wrap to drive ANY car.

Asshattery.........BAH!

Just let me know when your kid is on the road and I won't have to worry about it.....

Now, please explain to me HOW Air Conditioning is SAFETY EQUIPMENT? Any asshat can list every conceived option on a car.

BTW, You missed bumper guards on the Studebaker. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!?!?!?! Mine even has the PADDED DASH STRIP for the knees! WooHoo!!!!!!

What car did you learn in? What was YOUR first car? A Sherman tank or a Palomino?
                            My first car was a '75 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. I got my license as a 16 year old in 1980. And it was only marginally safer than a Studebaker. Compared to a 2002 ANYTHING, the safety equipment could be called subpar. But I guess no one asked me who makes Chevrolet...

Mark, have you ever seen a car involved in a fatality? People die in newer cars, but the death rate is down 4000 since 1960...with twice as many drivers. Your kid could be the safest driver in the world, but that won't protect him/her against others. Have you seen the video of the '59 Chevy Bel Air vs the 2009 Chevy Malibu? Think that was a joke? Think Studebakers were built any better?

I drive vintage cars knowing full well what I'm getting involved in. I'm old enough and experienced enough (I hope) that I'll survive any accident I might be involved in. If I HAD children, I'd buy a car with as many safety features that I could afford. If they want a vintage car to drive, wait until they are 18. Let them make the decision on their own. If they want to buy (or own) a vintage car, let them get it as a graduation gift or purchase.

By the way, air conditioning can be a safety feature if being overheating creates a distraction. Of course it never gets hot in Kansas or Kentucky, right?
                            Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Just an observation based on swifsters comments, I remember prowling through junk yards in the 50's and 60's and there was a lot of blood and gore in quite a few cars. They must decontaminate the newer ones quite a bit as I haven't seen anything like that in the local yards in a lot of years.

Comment

Working...
                              X