No announcement yet.

A Big Thanks from the Michiana Chapter!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Big Thanks from the Michiana Chapter!

We want to thank everyone for making the trip to South Bend this past weekend! The weather held out, and although it could have been a little warmer, we appreciate all the Studebaker vehicles and the attendees that drove them, the vendors, and more that made this event a success. This is a team effort of many people putting this together, along with the best vendors, who want to make sure that our guests have a nice time. At last count, there were 23 states and Canada represented in South Bend this weekend. The guests that came from California and Washington state coming the farthest according to the Visit South Bend folks.

Our event downtown, which was combined with a demonstration of antique bicycles, was well attended in a more spacious parking lot. It was prom night in downtown South Bend, as well as First Friday with a History theme and a huge music festival on the island behind the Century Center. There were a lot of people posing for pictures with our cars, many that did not know that our vehicles were actually made in South Bend. We were actually able to park a Starlite Coupe (thank you Bill Binder for putting your car there) on one of the main corners in downtown South Bend for most of the afternoon on Friday. Having that exposure for Studebaker, along with newspaper articles, and 3 TV stations over the weekend meant that our Studebakers got a lot of exposure to local people.

So, we go on to next year. Please bring yourself, your Studebaker if you can, and join us here in South Bend, a little less than one year from now for the 2017 International Meet. We will have some pretty cool things for you to do.

Originally posted by Bob Henning View Post
    We want to thank everyone for making the trip to South Bend this past weekend! The weather held out, and although it could have been a little warmer, we appreciate all the Studebaker vehicles and the attendees that drove them, the vendors, and more that made this event a success. This is a team effort of many people putting this together, along with the best vendors, who want to make sure that our guests have a nice time. At last count, there were 23 states and Canada represented in South Bend this weekend. The guests that came from California and Washington state coming the farthest according to the Visit South Bend folks.

Our event downtown, which was combined with a demonstration of antique bicycles, was well attended in a more spacious parking lot. It was prom night in downtown South Bend, as well as First Friday with a History theme and a huge music festival on the island behind the Century Center. There were a lot of people posing for pictures with our cars, many that did not know that our vehicles were actually made in South Bend. We were actually able to park a Starlite Coupe (thank you Bill Binder) on one of the main corners in downtown South Bend for most of the afternoon on Friday. Having that exposure for Studebaker, along with newspaper articles, and 3 TV stations over the weekend meant that our Studebakers got a lot of exposure to local people.

So, we go on to next year. Please bring yourself, your Studebaker if you can, and join us here in South Bend, a little less than one year from now for the 2017 International Meet. We will have some pretty cool things for you to do.
    And we want to thank you for putting this meet on and allowing us to buy/sell parts, see all the neat cars, see old friends, makie new ones, etc. We REALLY appreciate all the time, work, and expense you and all your help do to provide us with this great meet.

Ted & Mary Ann Harbit

Comment

Oh, I almost forgot that, everyone in the Swap Meet building sang Happy Birthday to Ted! (This was Bob Palma's idea.) Imagine how people sing in a restaurant and multiply that by a couple of hundred people in a huge building singing Happy Birthday. Pretty cool! Thanks for spending your birthday in South Bend Ted!

Comment

This was my first trip back to the May event in six years. I was greeted by name by about thirty or forty old friends, a real morale builder. I was surprised by how many vendors, cars and people were there. I guess I had kind of assumed the event would diminish over the years -- thankfully, not so. It was bigger and better! The gigantic Happy Birthday sing-along for Ted was pretty cool. Thank you, Michiana.
        sigpic
        Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Originally posted by Lark Parker View Post
          This was my first trip back to the May event in six years. I was greeted by name by about thirty or forty old friends, a real morale builder. I was surprised by how many vendors, cars and people were there. I guess I had kind of assumed the event would diminish over the years -- thankfully, not so. It was bigger and better! The gigantic Happy Birthday sing-along for Ted was pretty cool. Thank you, Michiana.
          Dale, I think the morale booster was for people seeing you, not the other way around!

Many commented on how good it was to see you up and about, able to attend. Indeed it was. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I think Ian Mackellar came the farthest since he is from Australia and came over to help me drive the 2500 miles one way from California, Ian has made this trip a few times so he is no stranger to S/B and the people of the swap meet and he always picks up items that we need to package and ship before he heads home so people say it is to far to go just look at what he does, he is a true Studebaker person and a super friend of mine.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
              I think Ian Mackellar came the farthest since he is from Australia and came over to help me drive the 2500 miles one way from California, Ian has made this trip a few times so he is no stranger to S/B and the people of the swap meet and he always picks up items that we need to package and ship before he heads home so people say it is to far to go just look at what he does, he is a true Studebaker person and a super friend of mine.
              Right! Ian is a great guy, just like Bob.

Ted

Comment

So glad to see things in such great shape since a couple of guys and myself stepped forward in 2002-2003 and kept things rolling. It wasn't just me, and I am not proposing that I deserve any credit. The people who are still doing it deserve the round of applause. And, a big one at that. I, have been consumed with other interests since (self preservation primarily).

It's a testament to the meaning of the event that it is still going and well supported. Hats off to the people who sacrifice the time and resources so we all can enjoy it.

Comment

Instead of a big thanks FROM the Michiana Chapter, I say a big thanks TO the Michiana Chapter-and all others involved. Hope we have many more annual meets there to come, as well as the SDC International Meet there once in awhile.

Again, to the Michiana Chapter-and all others involved, THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK IN MAKING THIS HAPPEN
                  Last edited by JoeHall; 05-10-2016, 07:36 PM.

Comment

A very enjoyable event....

Spring starts with our journey to the "Holly Land" - South Bend....."Nothing could be finer"....As long as I can find gas to buy.....and am able to push the clutch in I'll be there.
                    Thanks to all for the immense amount of work that goes into an event like this...
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic

Comment

Jim, I wish you had come by and we could have talked as I had another 2x4 Cad. manifold there and lots of questions to answer, just looking at your would have answered a lot of the questions also on my way over I stopped in Salt Lake City and picked up a good friend to come with his name Gale Nation, not sure if you might be related?
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

2x4

Bob...
                        Sorry I missed you. Where were you? Dad never talked about any family west of the Mississippi...I had a lot of questions about the dual quad set up. Your manifold and my carbs are still working well together. I got Well over 17 mpg last weekend. Next time you're passing through give me a shout.
                        Jim
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

Comment

I thought that engine looked familiar. Too bad the forum doesn't have a meeting at these events so we could put faces to names like we did in Springfield.
                          Attached Files
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

A Great Fund Raiser would be Official Name tags for club members...
                            sigpic

Comment

...and, especially to whomever took care of the weather!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X