Sid detailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sid detailing

Here's Sid after claying the paint and using my random orbit buffer and the #1 step in a four step polish, then wax after that. Check out the reflexion of Caesar's stainless trim. That straight line is what you get with 100 or so hours of block sanding by a body shop. I can't wait to see it after 3 more steps and the wax,

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,439.30
    63 Lark 2 door
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

That is gorgeous[] Great job!

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar
    3E-6/7-122
    </h5>

Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

Comment

That is gorgeous[] Great job!

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar
      3E-6/7-122
      </h5>

Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander

Comment

I still hate green, but that is one fine car. I've read many times of "how can anyone have 200 hours in paint and body", this is the result.

You said you wouldn't pay it John, but you sure are enjoying the quality of workmanship

It is an addiction!
        It is an addiction!

Comment

I still hate green, but that is one fine car. I've read many times of "how can anyone have 200 hours in paint and body", this is the result.

You said you wouldn't pay it John, but you sure are enjoying the quality of workmanship

It is an addiction!
          It is an addiction!

Comment

I bet I'll spent more time buffing the paint then Studebaker did painting Hawks. As I said, I'd never pay 11K for a paint job on a rust free, straight body, but it's nice the P.O. did. BTW, just finished a pass with the #2 polish, two more to go before the wax and each pass is going faster. Of course I can't even set a rag on the hood without it sliding off now.

JDP/Maryland
            63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
            spent to date $54664,75
            64 R2 GT (Sid)
            spent to date $62,439.30
            63 Lark 2 door
            51 Commander
            39 Coupe express
            39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I bet I'll spent more time buffing the paint then Studebaker did painting Hawks. As I said, I'd never pay 11K for a paint job on a rust free, straight body, but it's nice the P.O. did. BTW, just finished a pass with the #2 polish, two more to go before the wax and each pass is going faster. Of course I can't even set a rag on the hood without it sliding off now.

JDP/Maryland
              63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
              spent to date $54664,75
              64 R2 GT (Sid)
              spent to date $62,439.30
              63 Lark 2 door
              51 Commander
              39 Coupe express
              39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I need to clay my Bearcat this winter.
                Can anyone recommend a non expert DIY brand, kit or supplier?

63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I need to clay my Bearcat this winter.
                  Can anyone recommend a non expert DIY brand, kit or supplier?

63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                  63 Avanti R1 2788
                  1914 Stutz Bearcat
                  (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

From a previous post:

OK, here's a sort of how-to on my claying experience on Sid. It much easier to use than others and seems to work great. After washing the car, break off a quarter of the clay and knead into a hamburger sized patty. I sprayed a 2-4 square foot area with detail spray and sprayed some on the patty. Rub lightly back and forth on the paint. You'll hear a slight scraping sounds as it picks up embedded crap, then will slide smoothly. While still wet, wipe down with a cotton towel, knead the clay to expose clean clay and move on. I did the entire car with the one quarter portion and the clay was getting pretty black by the finish. Put the used clay back in the sealed container after spraying with a bit of detail spray to keep it damp.
                    I now have a clean, smooth surface to polish and wax. I even popped for a random orbit buffer to use with Groit's polishes. I bought all 3 levels of polish, but it lots like the finest (#3) will remove all the tiny towels scratches, but the heavier stuff will come in handy on older paint.

I found the best clay by far comes from:
                    Car Care for the Perfectionist! Polishes, waxes, cleaners, polishers, foaming systems, detailing supplies, and accessories. We make it, we guarantee it!
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

From a previous post:

OK, here's a sort of how-to on my claying experience on Sid. It much easier to use than others and seems to work great. After washing the car, break off a quarter of the clay and knead into a hamburger sized patty. I sprayed a 2-4 square foot area with detail spray and sprayed some on the patty. Rub lightly back and forth on the paint. You'll hear a slight scraping sounds as it picks up embedded crap, then will slide smoothly. While still wet, wipe down with a cotton towel, knead the clay to expose clean clay and move on. I did the entire car with the one quarter portion and the clay was getting pretty black by the finish. Put the used clay back in the sealed container after spraying with a bit of detail spray to keep it damp.
                      I now have a clean, smooth surface to polish and wax. I even popped for a random orbit buffer to use with Groit's polishes. I bought all 3 levels of polish, but it lots like the finest (#3) will remove all the tiny towels scratches, but the heavier stuff will come in handy on older paint.

I found the best clay by far comes from:
                      Car Care for the Perfectionist! Polishes, waxes, cleaners, polishers, foaming systems, detailing supplies, and accessories. We make it, we guarantee it!
                      JDP Maryland

Comment

Gee JP it looks like Christmas with the red Hawk reflecting in the green one! That is one beautiful car. Good job[^],

Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser

Comment

Gee JP it looks like Christmas with the red Hawk reflecting in the green one! That is one beautiful car. Good job[^],

Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser

Comment

John, you know the job is finished when a fly can't land on the paint without sliding.

It is an addiction!
                            It is an addiction!

Comment

John, you know the job is finished when a fly can't land on the paint without sliding.

It is an addiction!
                              It is an addiction!

Comment

Working...
                              X