Radio Dial Face Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio Dial Face Paint

I am looking for some information concerning the paint/powder used to cover the numbers on the radio face on 1951 Studebaker radios. I imagine that the coating was originally a glow in the dark green powder and not a paint? I am not an expert by any means, hence why I am reaching out to the forum. Should I go find some glow in the dark green paint? Is there another option that I am not aware of? Do decals exist for this radio face? Again, this is for the 1951 series of philco brand radios with the bullet knobs, official factory accessory.
    1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

SI has replacement dials. May not be exactly as original as far as materials used.
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I believe there are Gov'mt regulations against using Radium. Maybe it killed a Calif. Laboratory Rat.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radium_Girls Actually, many people died. But if you're more concerned about rats, so be it.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Well you can't buy the original stuff anymore. There are lots of phosphorescent paints available, maybe you could use them, but I'd be too shaky to brush it on to make it look right. I'd go with a replacement if it looks close enough.

Comment

Here's the low down on 50-52 dial glass paint.

The original paint was glow-in-the-dark, but the radio's bulbs did not have the ultraviolet filters like the dash bulbs did, so the glow-in-the-dark feature of the paint was not utilized on radio dials.

That means there is no advantage to trying to find or use glow-in-the-dark paint on 50-52 radio dials.

You can mix some Testors model paint to match the dial color. It's white with just a touch of yellow.

Now here's the cool part. The dial numbers are etched/molded into the glass from the back. You can paint the numbers on the inside of the glass and use a razor blade window scraper like a squeegee to clean off the non-painted areas of the glass.

It's easier to do if you take the glass out of the bezel first, but can still be done with the bezel installed.

I have some specific directions for removing the bezel, depending on the model of the radio. It does not come off they way it looks like it should come off. It is very easy to permanently damage the tuning coils by removing the bezel incorrectly, so everyone please let me know if you plan to remove the bezel on any 50-52 radio and I will provide instructions.

When painting the glass, use a new blade with no nicks in it. Do it as soon as you lay the paint down while the paint is still liquid. Then as the paint starts to set up, before it hardens, scrape it with the blade again. Doing this a few times will make your dial glass numbers look like new. Clean out the old paint first and make sure that you fill in all the corners of the numbers and words. If you make a mistake, you can add more paint and scrape it again.

53-55 dial glass can be done the same way. 53 and early 54 is white and late 54-55 is light yellow. 56 and later radios cannot be done in this manner.
            Last edited by RadioRoy; 05-05-2016, 01:32 PM.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by 61LaRk4dr View Post
              I am looking for some information concerning the paint/powder used to cover the numbers on the radio face on 1951 Studebaker radios. I imagine that the coating was originally a glow in the dark green powder and not a paint? I am not an expert by any means, hence why I am reaching out to the forum. Should I go find some glow in the dark green paint? Is there another option that I am not aware of? Do decals exist for this radio face? Again, this is for the 1951 series of philco brand radios with the bullet knobs, official factory accessory.
              Are you attempting to install the S4927 radio you asked about in an earlier thread into your 51 Land Cruiser?

The square back S4927 radio will only fit 50 and will not fit into a 51-52. They moved the windshield wiper mechanism inside the firewall in 1951, so the upper rear top of the radio had to be modified/slanted.
              Last edited by RadioRoy; 05-05-2016, 01:31 PM.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                Are you attempting to install the S4927 radio you asked about in an earlier thread into your 51 Land Cruiser?

The square back S4927 radio will only fit 50 and will not fit into a 51-52. They moved the windshield wiper mechanism inside the firewall in 1951, so the upper rear top of the radio had to be modified/slanted.
                I was hoping you would chime in. This is not in relation to the radio that was being discussed earlier. I have a manual tuning radio sans push buttons from 1951 (slant back on the top). I have done previously what you described in the first post. The razor edge works pretty good. I just needed some insight on what the professionals use in restoring the glass.
                1947 Studebaker M-5
                1946 Studebaker M-5
                1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
                1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
                1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

The good thing about the older Studebaker Philco radios is they etched the glass before painting on the numbers. Phosphorescent paint is no longer available, at least I haven't found any. I use an off white paint that I buy at the local hobby shop. I make sure the glass is clean and oil free before applying the paint to the numbers using a small brush. I let the paint dry for a while and then scrape off the excess paint with a razor blade running lengthwise across the glass being careful not to get the edge of the blade into any of the numbers. The numbers won't glow, but there are two light bulbs with green lenses on either side of the glass which will light up the dial just fine. The paint job can be done with the glass in the bezel as trying to remove the glass can cause it to break. Bud

Comment

Working...
                  X