Roll up antennas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll up antennas

How far down do the Stude hand crank antennas retract in relation to the fender top?Or do they almost totally retract like the newer electric antennas?

That depends on the Year Model as to how far they go down.
    I believe it is the Older type that does not go down as low as the '59-'66 ones, but I don't think ANY go all the way down.

Back then, they were not thinking about Car Washes and certainly not about Car Covers, who would cover up a Studebaker? It was more about getting the right height for the distance of the AM Radio Station.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have one in my '51 and '53. They both retract to about 5".
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

My sits about the same 5" above the fender when fully lowered. The original one that came with my 59 Lark HT (listed on the build sheet) was perhaps a victim of vandalism with it's mast broken clean off at the base. I believe that was the most prevalent reason why people ordered retractable antennas when they were offered as an option. In any event, I replaced the original with one I bought from a long time member in Tucson. I was surprised to find that the antenna when fully lowered didn't "disappear" completely into the fender.

Comment

I rebuild one's that is 3 inches above the fender. Also, I rebuild one that come close the size from the Factory.

Comment

Working...
          X