Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a wheel cover for an 8-lug 1957 3/4 ton Transtar

All,
    I'm a longtime lurker and first-time poster!

I've rust-ored a '57 3/4 ton Transtar and am in need of an 8-lug wheel cover for it.

They were an option that few owners purchased and I've had no luck chasing one down.

They are roughly 9-inches wide and 3-inches deep.

Attached are pics of my ride as well as pics of the cover that has eluded me.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you might provide!
    -Jeremy

Click image for larger version

Name:	57Transtar.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1750831Click image for larger version

Name:	cover2.JPG
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1750829Click image for larger version

Name:	cover1.JPG
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1750828Click image for larger version

Name:	cover3.JPG
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	1750830

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Jeremy!

These that you have appear to be generic, aftermarket Hub Caps, not the Studebaker issued 3/4 Ton Type.

And they are Hub Caps not Wheel Covers. You are correct, the Correct ones ARE very rare.

The 1692450X2 3/4 Ton Hub Caps for 1960 to 1964 Trucks, are a later version but may fit and are available on Pg.43 of the Studebaker International Catalog.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

[QUOTE=jsutto01;986706]All,
      I'm a longtime lurker and first-time poster!
      I've rust-ored a '57 3/4 ton Transtar and am in need of an 8-lug wheel cover for it.
      Thanks in advance for any assistance you might provide!
      -Jeremy

Click image for larger version

Name:	57Transtar.JPG
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1750831QUOTE]

WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Sorry I can't help with your search. But...your post, and seeing where you are from, awakened some very distant, but fond memories for me. It was July of 1965. I was 19, in the Air Force, not long out of basic training, and assigned to Aerospace Ground Power Equipment Technical Training at Chanute Air Base, in Rantoul, Illinois. While in basic training in Texas, I was shown a film of Air Force Tech Schools. I was excited about the prospect of the tech schools after finishing basic training. The film made it look like my vision of what a college campus would be. (My ultimate goal at that time was to go to college.) I had a ball in basic training. However, arriving at Chanute was one of the biggest shocks and disappointments of my life. Anything but the college campus environment I had imagined. Instead, we were housed in old drafty WWII era barracks, heated by pot belly stoves. The school was overbooked. It was weeks before we could attend classes. Instead, they had us pulling weeds, and picking up litter. It was the first time I experienced homesickness.

I hate to admit this, but, at that time, I was unaware of my Gomer Pyle type innocence and true country bumpkin lack of worldly knowledge. I don't recall the exact date, but there was some holiday, or extended weekend that gave us some extra free time. I hitch hiked all the way home to Blacksburg, SC. Got my 1949 Plymouth, and drove half a day and all night back to Illinois. No GPS, just the free roadmaps given away at gas stations. Also, almost no interstate highways as we know them today.

It was in Bloomington, where I found refuge. On weekends, I would head west, Illinois State University, wander the campus, and enjoy the non-military everyday people. No saluting, no uniforms, no "make work" details. Although I had graduated from high school in 1963, I still weighed less than 120 pounds, and looked every bit of 15 years old. Somewhere downtown, there was an old Hotel. The couple that ran it, took pity on me and rented me a room for about four bucks a night. Even invited me to eat breakfast with them. First time I ever saw anyone drink beer with breakfast. Hotel had brass beads, and restrooms were "down the hall."

I found a local drive-in restaurant called Steak N Shake. Sometimes, I'd buy a hotdog and fries, and only water to drink, because I wanted to make sure I'd have a couple of bucks for enough gas to get me back to Rantoul. There, a sweet little car hop began bringing me more food than I had ordered, and wouldn't charge me for it. I hate to admit this too, but it took a couple of weekends for me to catch on. She was more interested in something else from me.

Yep, Bloomington Illinois...1965...in a Galaxy, far far away...driving through middle America...flat-head six cylinder Deluxe Royal Blue 1949 Plymouth...Sonny & Cher "I've Got You Babe" crackling through the static of the AM radio's huge chrome speaker grille. I've never been back, but great memories.

Again, Welcome to the forum! Enjoy the truck...I sure have enjoyed mine.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
      X