Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood Ornament

Hi guys!

I need a new hood ornament for my 64 Lark Cruiser. The car has been in the family since my great-grand father bought it brand new, and my dad says that the hood ornament has been broken off for at least 40 years. Anyways, I could easily buy a replacement hood ornament, but I don't want some stupid kid to rip off my ornament again.

So, with the help of my brother, my new hood ornament prototype just came off of the printer.

Now it's time to get it CNC'd!

What do you think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2742.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	1750827

I like!
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

That's really nice!

Dean.

Comment

Originally posted by adamevans View Post
        What do you think?
        That would have been the 1968 version; when the federal regulations took effect, banning hood ornaments and other sharp pieces of chrome at the time (1967 vs 1968 full-size Plymouth comes to mind.)

In 1971, the Monte Carlo started the fad all over again with a spring-loaded standup hood ornament.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          That would have been the 1968 version; when the federal regulations took effect, banning hood ornaments and other sharp pieces of chrome at the time (1967 vs 1968 full-size Plymouth comes to mind.)

In 1971, the Monte Carlo started the fad all over again with a spring-loaded standup hood ornament.

Craig
          I have had NOS circle-S spring mounted Studebaker hood ornaments (all sold). I believe that they were used on some export Studebakers. A picture of one of mine was in Turning Wheels years ago.

BTW - You have a 1964 Cruiser not a "Lark Cruiser". Even in 1963, when the Lark name was still used, the Cruiser was not a Lark.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            I have had NOS circle-S spring mounted Studebaker hood ornaments (all sold). I believe that they were used on some export Studebakers. A picture of one of mine was in Turning Wheels years ago.
            Yes, I have seen those around. It would have been interesting to see if Studebaker would have changed to the spring loaded version had they been still in production and continued with a stand-up design. To my knowledge, no other domestic manufacturer did in 1968, including Lincoln, Plymouth, AMC Ambassador, etc.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              BTW - You have a 1964 Cruiser not a "Lark Cruiser". Even in 1963, when the Lark name was still used, the Cruiser was not a Lark.
              Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                So did regulations change to allow them again?

Comment

I like Your Modern version,of old style. Who knows,this just may catch on and You'll be popping a few out
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Make as many as you can. You will sell them.

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
                      Make as many as you can. You will sell them.
                      Agreed! Pop some chrome on that bad boy and let 'em go! Great looking piece.
                      You just have to love how the 3-D print technology is making pieces like this availabe and affordable.
                      Mike Davis
                      1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Very nice lazy S design!
                        Yes, looks to be a nice production item.
                        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Thanks guys. It's been tons of fun to design. Can't wait to get it on the mill!

Comment

Great effort and a nice looking Design, but unfortunately it does not come close to the outstanding Original Design and you can't put the "S" on the right limit white line of your lane on the Road and drive with it.

I think you could improve it a lot, by redesigning it, adding a separate piece to it to make it match the original and it would be way more desirable to most.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

i want a spring loaded one where can you get one????????

Comment

Working...
                              X