Shiftless in Wisconsin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Shiftless in Wisconsin

I have a '63 Hawk, Grand Tourismo with a stuck shifter. I had this car up and running before I put it away for the winter. When my buddies took it out of the barn, the shifter got stuck. Any clue as how to proceed? Some say I need to replace the whole steering column. I would appreciate sound advice as how to get it in gear.

Auto or stick?

Comment

If an auto you can jam one in park by keeping pressure on park pawl so it wont release, like parking on slope. if manual "3 on the tree" have someone hold brake and clutch down, you get under the hood and manually move shifter arms on column to neutral its hung up. once sorted out look at shift mechanism inside column. Luck, Doofus

Comment

I had a 54 Chevy that did the same thing. I'd lift the hood and move each lever on the steering column to the neutral position, then drive the car, but be careful to use a strict H pattern, rather than try to slide through in an X pattern.
        In other words you pull the lever towards you lightly as you move it up to the neutral position, then move the lever straight forward, then lift it up to second gear.

Comment

Usual cause of this in a three speed car is loose shift rods or out of adjustment.

Comment

Look at motor mounts as well. Deteriorated or separated mounts can generate shifting problems. Usually a jam occurs when the column shifter tube drops into the 2/3 lever before the trans comes out of 1st gear. The detent interlock in the trans will not allow the 2/3 lever to move because 1st is still not completely disengaged but the selector in the column is no longer engaged in the 1st/reverse lever. While holding the clutch and brake, have an assistant pull up on the 1st/reverse lever to the neutral position and it will shift again. The short term cure is new lever bushings, proper adjustment, and good mounts. If the shift tube in the column is worn, it may have to be replaced.
            james r pepper

Comment

Still no answer from Studious. I would guess it is stick and the shifter is jambed between the levers in the column, but then it would be stuck in one gear ... usually. From his post it is in no gear. Curious........
              1936 Dictator
              1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
              1953 Commander Regal HT
              1953 2R5 Pickup
              1947 M16 Truck
              1960 Lark VIII Convertible
              1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
              1962 Champ 7E5 no box
              1962 GT Hawk
              1963 Lark VI 4 dr
              1963 GT Hawk R2
              1964 Daytona Convertible
              1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

Working...
              X