Another penetrating oil idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another penetrating oil idea

I have followed threads on this and other forums about what products are best as rust-busters and penetrating oils. I have used many of them and lately have used the 50/50 blend of acetone and ATF with some success.

Today I was attempting to remove the steering wheel from a 1932 vintage brand X to get it out of the way to make it easier to lift the body off the frame. I used the acetone/ATF mixture to no avail. I looked around the shop to see what else I might have in the penetrating oil arsenal (yes, it is a play on words), and spotted a couple of bottles of Hoppe's number 9.

After soaking the the steering wheel hub and letting it sit for only a couple of minutes, with the next whack of the big rubber hammer, that steering wheel came loose. I can't guarantee that the Hoppe's is what did the trick, but I sure wasn't having any success before I used it. I'm only posting this because I can't remember if Hoppe's has been mentioned before. Tom

Where do you find Hoppes #9? ...is it the same guy that has Louisiana Lightening in those quart jars?

Comment

Memory serves, Hoppes #9 is available anywhere firearms and ammunition are sold. It, or a nearly identical name, is a solvent for cleaning the inside of gun barrels and aids in the removal or lead and copper residue from the rounds of ammunition fired through the barrel. It also dissolves light rust or at least softens it to the point mild pressure will clean it off. No clue if aluminum safe.

Comment

Working...
      X