Help with a 94 year old Stude!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a 94 year old Stude!

I just got my hands on an amazing bard find 1922 Studebaker. I have been scouring the internet to find out more about her, but there seems to be little info on a car that is 94 years old! I was lucky enough to find this forum and I am hoping that others may have some insight. I have seen other 22's , but not with quite the same configuration as mine. I do have the VIN (173374) in case someone has a decoder or can help identify the exact model or features it came with. I have also attached a couple of photos I took when I picked it up, but I will take more later! Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	22 Stude.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1750804Click image for larger version

Name:	Stude-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1750805

Hello; Lovely looking car. You ought to get in touch with members of the Antique Studebaker Group. To begin with, James Bell is the Northwest Zone director, he and Stephanie are active in that group. Also, Brian Curtis is the editor of the newsletter in the Northwest and you can reach him at briankcurtis@yahoo.com. Hope this gets you started. As you get futher along, I am sure you will find others in your area involved with the antique Studes.
    Regards
    Francis

Comment

Also, make contact with Richard Quinn....You can PM him through this form....
      sigpic

Comment

I am at work at the moment but when I get home I can check my Studebaker Buyer's Guide. I know it covers that year. I'll let you know what I learn. Are you looking for any specific type of information? Number built, serial number range, original price?
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
          I am at work at the moment but when I get home I can check my Studebaker Buyer's Guide. I know it covers that year. I'll let you know what I learn. Are you looking for any specific type of information? Number built, serial number range, original price?
          Any info you have for me would be great! I can't find anything on this beauty! Thank you!

Comment

I just got home from work. I pulled out my copy of the Bill Cannon/Fred Fox book Studebaker: The Complete Story. By just the looks of the car (fenders radiator shell, cowl lights) it looks like you have a Light Six. The fly in the ointment is the serial number (VIN) The 1922 EJ model Light six serial numbers started at 1035003 up and the 1923 EM model started at 1,084,001.

The light six had an aluminum head. The Special Six of that year did not. Light Six wheelbase was 112 inches, Special Six wheel base 119 inches. So go measure the wheel base and check the head with a magnet. The head may have been changed but the wheelbase is not going to change.

Most of the references of the light six did not mention the steel wheel disc. The only reference I have from the book is the disc wheel was made standard in 1926 on the standard six.

A picture of the engine compartment would help as the light six engine would not interchange with any of the other Studebaker models of 1922. If the doors open and swing the same way front and rear door, then it is probably a light six. Production of the Light Six for 1922 was listed at 110,269

Hope this helps. Not an expert by any means on the post WW1 Pre WW2 cars.

Bob Miles
            Tucson AZ
            Home of Lazarus and Meshach

Comment

http://forums.aaca.org/forum/21-stud...rskine-rockne/ is the forum for that group.
              South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                I just got home from work. I pulled out my copy of the Bill Cannon/Fred Fox book Studebaker: The Complete Story. By just the looks of the car (fenders radiator shell, cowl lights) it looks like you have a Light Six. The fly in the ointment is the serial number (VIN) The 1922 EJ model Light six serial numbers started at 1035003 up and the 1923 EM model started at 1,084,001.

The light six had an aluminum head. The Special Six of that year did not. Light Six wheelbase was 112 inches, Special Six wheel base 119 inches. So go measure the wheel base and check the head with a magnet. The head may have been changed but the wheelbase is not going to change.

Most of the references of the light six did not mention the steel wheel disc. The only reference I have from the book is the disc wheel was made standard in 1926 on the standard six.

A picture of the engine compartment would help as the light six engine would not interchange with any of the other Studebaker models of 1922. If the doors open and swing the same way front and rear door, then it is probably a light six. Production of the Light Six for 1922 was listed at 110,269

Hope this helps. Not an expert by any means on the post WW1 Pre WW2 cars.

Bob Miles
                Tucson AZ
                Home of Lazarus and Meshach
                Bob this was amazingly helpful! Thank you for this information. I did see one mention that the disc wheels were an add on option, so perhaps this particular owner had a little bit of money to splurge!

Comment

Is what you call the "VIN" on the car as a Serial Number? It may be an engine number. Many states registered and titled cars via engine number in the earlier years.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

No shortage of info on the ’22 Light Six. As mentioned above however the serial number you give is not correct. Check the engine number. If it has a prefix of EJ it is likely a ’22. The ’22 differed from the ’21 in that it had a cowl ventilator. The 1923-24 would have a EM prefix. Have lots of data. About 50,000 assembled. Some other items below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	22 light 6 labeled.jpg
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	1704967Click image for larger version

Name:	22 light 6 sedan copy.jpg
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	1704968Click image for larger version

Name:	22 lt six ad copy.jpg
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	1704969
                    Richard Quinn
                    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thank you Richard. I guess my work here is done. I'll see if my buyer's guide has anything more to offer but your ads pretty well cover the basics.
                      Ed Sallia
                      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                        No shortage of info on the ’22 Light Six. As mentioned above however the serial number you give is not correct. Check the engine number. If it has a prefix of EJ it is likely a ’22. The ’22 differed from the ’21 in that it had a cowl ventilator. The 1923-24 would have a EM prefix. Have lots of data. About 50,000 assembled. Some other items below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53460[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]53461[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]53462[/ATTACH]
                        Thank you Richard. She is definitely the light six. It does have the disc wheels, they appear to have come on the car and i did find one mention of that being an upgrade, or an option for that year, any way to know for sure? Other than that, I think she is an all original "barn find". Still has the original mohair seats, window curtains, gauges etc. The only thing missing is the fabric roof which has since worn out. It has the original slats that hold the roof up, even the headliner inside is great, I am assuming they had the roof covered with something!

Comment

Congrats on a great barn find!!!!
                          It is an addiction!

Comment

Congratulation on great barn find. I had a 1924 Light Six touring car.

A couple words of wisdom; these cars have relatively small engines, when compared to the Special and Big Sixes and tend to be slow moving especially on the hills. Double clutching is critical to down shifting. Also the brakes take some getting used to, they are rear only, externally contracting, so be mindful on long descents, especially in wet weather. Great cars for around town, parades, etc. but avoid the high speed roads, freeways, etc. Have fun with it!
                            Dan Peterson
                            Montpelier, VT
                            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
                              I would encourage Casey to join the Antique Studebaker Club. Identifying the AACA forum Studebaker page as "the forum for that group" may be somewhat misleading. It is simply a sub page of the AACA forum. The six responses already logged here today confirm that this is the forum of first resort.
                              Brad Johnson,
                              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X