Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does it take so long to do things now-a-days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does it take so long to do things now-a-days?

I hadn't worked on Leo in a while (like about two years) so three weeks ago I decided to install his back bumper.
    At some point in his life he took a hard hit, at an angle, to the ass end.
    The repair work done to the frame back in the day was so bad I had to replace the back 20" of the frame. When I bolted the bumper on it had a two inch gap on one side and no gap on the 'driver's side. I finally got it right, good enough for me anyhow, using enough shims and spacers, but it took TWO weeks to complete that little chore. I remember a day when that would have been a two hour job. Dang, I'm getting old. :-(

Proof that I installed the back bumper.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jerry Forrester; 04-25-2016, 01:40 PM.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
    I hadn't worked on Leo in a while (like about two years) so three weeks ago I decided to install his back bumper.
    At some point in his life he took a hard hit, at an angle, to the ass end.
    The repair work done to the frame back in the day was so bad I had to replace the back 20" of the frame. When I bolted the bumper on it had a two inch gap on one side and no gap on the 'driver's side. I finally got it right, good enough for me anyhow, using enough shims and spacers, but it took TWO weeks to complete that little chore. I remember a day when that would have been a two hour job. Dang, I'm getting old. :-(
    Welcome to the club.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

AS a guy I know said to me one day. It now takes me all day to do what I use to do in a couple hours after work.

Comment

Wow! That's a whole 'nuther club we could form and join!!! I'm amazed at how many hours it now takes me to waste an hour! One saying I have used for years..."I spend half my life, organizing the other half into disarray." Now...even when I begin to clean up the clutter, it usually involves some "new project" to help prevent future clutter. Of course, while working on that genus idea...more tools get scattered, more clutter occurs, and the pile grows.

In all his life, my dad only owned a total of three cars, one small garden tractor, two lawn mowers, which he maintained flawlessly. He raised nine kids, kept a bunch of farm animals, etc. with his storage being a small basement, attic, and tiny outbuilding. All of that time, his entire cache of tools fit in one small toolbox. For me, I have several outbuildings, enough tools to run a business...and when I need a particular tool...takes me a ton of time to locate it. Some of us have a talent for order...others, a talent for mayhem......

John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

A couple of things I've found as the years have passed by...I'm not as slim as I used to be and can't slide under a car so easily anymore. And...even more important...when I bust a knuckle now it hurts more and bleeds longer.

Such things do tend to slow getting things done.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Add me to the too old to get anything done club. I work for 10 minutes and have to go rest. Since i had my quad heart bypass I just don't have any energy. I have to walk 2 miles a day then i'm tired doing that.
            101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

i have had quite a few birthdays. I tell people that it takes me twice as long to do things and I get half as much done.
              "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

I spend a lot of time looking for the tool I was just using or the part I laid down somewhere when I needed to find a replacement tool for the one I forgot where I laid down. While I'm looking, I find another project I forgot I was working on and...OH LOOK, there's that center punch I had to run to the hardware store and replace when I couldn't find it.....

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
                  I spend a lot of time looking for the tool I was just using or the part I laid down somewhere when I needed to find a replacement tool for the one I forgot where I laid down. While I'm looking, I find another project I forgot I was working on and...OH LOOK, there's that center punch I had to run to the hardware store and replace when I couldn't find it.....
                  And I thought it was just me.
                  THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!!!
                  JS
                  I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Soo glad to see others' posting here, who can identify too. I thought I was just getting old or something. To combat short term memory problems, I tie a string around my finger to remind me of something, then I forget what the something was.

I recently took over a year to rebuild a 352. Seems like yesterday when a month woulda been stretching it, unless waiting on parts or machine shop.

Comment

Getting underneath my Studebaker to drain the oil is no problem......Getting back up to pour new oil in has taken a new dinension in my life............One hour chores are now four hour chores.......But at least I can finish them.........For now.

Comment

ROFLMAO!! I so relate to this thread...
                        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

All this sounds very familiar to me. I am also a member of it takes four hours to do what used to take me an hour or less to do club. I moved almost 5 months ago after living in the same house 30 years and I am still unpacking. Maybe by Xmas I might be done. The Golden Years is an illusion, it more like the rusted and seized up Iron Years. Oh well at least I and the rest of you are still alive, it kind of beats the alternative in my mind.

Comment

jclary has the answer as to why it takes so long to do things now. I spend so much time looking for that wrench that was just in my hand.
                            Never raise your hands to your children, it leaves your groin unprotected.- Red Buttons

'63 Avanti R2
                            '14 Boxster
                            '64 GT Hawk R1 JT
                            '37 Dictator Coupe
                            '37 Dictator Coupe "slight custom"

Comment

Takes me hours to get up the moxey to get to it! A longtime & great effort to get up & down & when down, can't see what
                              I'm doing,always losing parts & tools,what's happening to me ?

Comment

Working...
                              X