Driving with power steering fluid leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Driving with power steering fluid leak

My 64 Hawk has just started gushing power steering fluid, emptying the reservoir after only a mile of driving.

I haven't been able to pinpoint the source of the leak yet, but I presume it is one of the hoses. Anyway, ideally I'd like to drive the car to my mechanic who is about 3 miles away. I can fill up the reservoir every mile of so, I guess, but will any damage occur if I drive with an empty reservoir? I know the steering will be exceedingly heavy.

BTW, the mechanic rebuilt the power steering pump about four months ago, and the leak doesn't seem to be coming from there. Rather, there's substantial dripping from where the hoses have bends (although the fluid could be traveling from elsewhere along a hose and only dripping from there); all the hoses were replaced in 2012 with ones from Studebaker International.

Originally posted by 64GTHawk View Post
    My 64 Hawk has just started gushing power steering fluid, emptying the reservoir after only a mile of driving.

I haven't been able to pinpoint the source of the leak yet, but I presume it is one of the hoses. Anyway, ideally I'd like to drive the car to my mechanic who is about 3 miles away. I can fill up the reservoir every mile of so, I guess, but will any damage occur if I drive with an empty reservoir? I know the steering will be exceedingly heavy.

BTW, the mechanic rebuilt the power steering pump about four months ago, and the leak doesn't seem to be coming from there. Rather, there's substantial dripping from where the hoses have bends (although the fluid could be traveling from elsewhere along a hose and only dripping from there); all the hoses were replaced in 2012 with ones from Studebaker International.
    You could certainly damage the pump if it runs dry. If you have a separate belt and pulley for the steering pump maybe you could disconnect the belt for the drive to your mechanic if it's easily accessed. I know on my 59' and 60' Larks I have regular steering if the belt ever fails but others on this forum can advise you on your model.

Comment

Disconnect the power steering belt for this drive for analysis and repair.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Take off the P/S belt, drive slow-it will be a lot harder to steer. I'd preorder new hoses and a control valve kit, either you "popped" a hose or, the seals in the control valve went on vacation , due to the rebuilt pump. All the vendors stock them, and your mechanic won't have to try and find hoses and seals that won't fit locally.

Comment

Working...
        X