1966 body side mouldings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1966 body side mouldings

There is a discussion going on Facebook about the difference between a '66 Commander and a '66 Cruiser. It was brought up that the body side mouldings are wider on the Cruiser than the Commander. There is disagreement about whether or not that is the case. I think it is correct. What do you all think?

The Cruiser and Daytona mouldings are wider.

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 04-23-2016, 07:13 PM.

Comment

What are they 1/32 Inch wider? They sure did not get their Money's worth out of that upgrade!
      Not a cost effective change at all.

I would have sworn they were identical, no improvement there or Model Identity like the usual trim upgrade, like on '64 and '65's.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        What are they 1/32 Inch wider?
        They are quite a bit wider than that!!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          They are quite a bit wider than that!!Craig
          You are right, I can see that now, I was typing my Post while you were putting the pics up.
          They are about 1/8" Wider and deeper but no improvement in looks at all.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

When they were new I didn't really care for them & the reason about them giving the sides more protection was empty in my book. Now I have 2 66's & like them for other reasons but still prefer the molding's on the 64/65's much better.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Those pics make the difference very clear! Another example of the SDC forum being more accurate than Facebook!

Comment

Interesting topic.
                When pictures provide the proof, there's not much else to say.
                But I just did- in the place where this all started.
                Sorry for doubting you Dustin.

StudeDave '57
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I've always liked the rarity of the '66's, and the louvered vents in back, but really, I think the '64 and '65 styling and wheelcovers were better. Just MHO.

The only exterior differences I could remember between Commander and Cruiser in '66 were that the Cruiser had the bright-metal window frame moldings and the horizontal "C" pillar molding. I never noticed the difference in body side moldings--and understandable, giving how little they are different!

I was pretty amazed to read Andy Beckman's column in the latest TW that said that that Commanders were shipped with '64-65 wheelcovers standard, near the end of the '66 run. Someone at the last South Bend international meet had a '66 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist, nearly identical to mine but with the '64-65 wheelcovers. He actually showed me that this was mentioned on the production order!
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  (formerly Greenville, PA)
                  Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                  Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                  1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                  1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                    I've always liked the rarity of the '66's, and the louvered vents in back, but really, I think the '64 and '65 styling and wheelcovers were better. Just MHO.

The only exterior differences I could remember between Commander and Cruiser in '66 were that the Cruiser had the bright-metal window frame moldings and the horizontal "C" pillar molding. I never noticed the difference in body side moldings--and understandable, giving how little they are different!

I was pretty amazed to read Andy Beckman's column in the latest TW that said that that Commanders were shipped with '64-65 wheelcovers standard, near the end of the '66 run. Someone at the last South Bend international meet had a '66 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist, nearly identical to mine but with the '64-65 wheelcovers. He actually showed me that this was mentioned on the production order!
                    Bill I know the car you have mentioned, but the difference there was that Daytona was ordered like that not sent out from Studebaker like that
                    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Maybe a fraction larger or smaller but still basic same design.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by COMMANDERPINK1 View Post
                        Maybe a fraction larger or smaller but still basic same design.
                        I was thinking that the Daytona/Cruiser trim was not only slightly wider, but also deeper/thicker which provided more protection for the side of the car than the trim on a Commander.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I favor the 64 side trim, more petite and I like the longer more pointed ends better. I once put a 64 front clip on a 63 Wagonair,and then put 64 Commander side trim on for a nice clean look.
                          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

The 1966 Cruiser/Daytona side trim is actually very close in width and profile to the plainer 1955 sedan model mouldings (non-butterknife). I know that sounds silly but when I was sorting though some stainless trim recently I had to put them side by side to pick the difference. Also, the narrow '66 Commander/Wagonaire moulding clips are not the same as those used on 1964-65 Commanders.

Chris.

Comment

Working...
                            X