no action Speedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: no action Speedo

Greetings. My speed-o-meter is defunct. Has been since I bought the car (63 Hawk auto), and I need it working for road Registration (nearly there!). Is it more likely to be the pinion /fibre gear assembly in the transmission worn out, or the cable core that is broken?
    As I am a very lazy man with a dodgy back, I don't want to bend myself in half to get under the dash unless absolutely necessary. However, access at the trans end is easy on the hoist.
    As per the old "slippery Sids used car sales" method of winding back the odometer reading, can I test the cable and speedo function via an electric drill at the transmission end?? If so, what is the direction of rotation? Cheers, Quentin

clock-wise.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

redline...........

Comment

Every auto tech has a short piece of speedo cable in his tool box. Plug it into the speedo and turn by hand to determine if the speedo turns freely.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Treblig View Post
          redline...........
          ??bit cryptic for me, gilbert.........

Comment

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
            ??bit cryptic for me, gilbert.........
            Redline gauge and clock repair!! I had my speedo repaired by them and it works just like new.

Treblig

Comment

Put someone in car on hoist. pull speedo adapter from trans and turn small fiber gear by hand. you are testing cable and speedo head all at once. Luck Doofus

Comment

To be more specific....Redline Gauge Works, Santa Clara, Ca. I paid $180.00 and was very happy with their work!!

I see you're in The Land Of Oz so that probably doesn't do you any good.

Sorry,
                Treblig

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                  Put someone in car on hoist. pull speedo adapter from trans and turn small fiber gear by hand. you are testing cable and speedo head all at once. Luck Doofus
                  Sound like a plan. Cheers

Comment

You could buy an N.O.S. speedo for $200 and that's in Australian dollars (pesos).

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                      Every auto tech has a short piece of speedo cable in his tool box. Plug it into the speedo and turn by hand to determine if the speedo turns freely.
                      You can start from either end to troubleshoot; if starting from the speedo end, Just reach up under the dash and twirl the tip of the speedo shaft with your thumb thd finger tip. That way you can feel if its stiff, and watch the ndeddle bounce when you twirl it. Its a good idea to go ahead and remove the speedo, and oil the wick above that shaft while you are at it. Remove the little cap over the wick then soak the wick with motor oil, while gently twirling the shaft, till it starts to come out around the shaft. At that time, you will have checked the speedo for operation, and oiled it up for the next 50 years and 100,000 miles.

Comment

Working...
                      X