• New one on CL

Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

This one is a really NICE original condition President Classic. It really is too bad that these great riding, Super Luxurious Sedans just do not bring the $$$$$ like Hardtops, Convertibles and Hawks.

That covered since New, Interior is really awesome!

I did notice though, what you sometimes get when one of these "Pros" "Color matches" the paint for a little surface rust repair or a fender bender.

The Roof and lower L. Rear Fender are Gray instead of the correct Rose.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pres. Classic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1704830 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pres. Classic2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1704831
    Last edited by StudeRich; 04-18-2016, 07:46 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Is that an SDC decal in the driver's side rear window? If you would be happy with a 4 door this looks like it would be a good one.
      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
      50 Champion 2 door*
      53 Commander K Auto*
      53 Commander K overdrive*
      55 President Speedster
      62 GT 4Speed*
      63 Avanti R1*
      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

I absolutely love that car. But hate the cyclops eye speedo.

Comment

This very car had been in the Portland, Oregon area for quite a while. The chapter members that had it had to reduce their Studebaker collection. The reason I know that this is that very car is that the original owner (prior to the local chapter members mentioned above) was a knowledgable Studebaker mechanic and he converted to a '57 steering gear which was a improvement over the '56 version. Note the '57 - '60 type steering wheel.

Comment

Still has an Oregon license plate. For some reason, this car is missing the rear bumper over-riders which I think were a standard President item.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
              This very car had been in the Portland, Oregon area for quite a while. The chapter members that had it had to reduce their Studebaker collection. The reason I know that this is that very car is that the original owner (prior to the local chapter members mentioned above) was a knowledgable Studebaker mechanic and he converted to a '57 steering gear which was a improvement over the '56 version. Note the '57 - '60 type steering wheel.
              I did notice that '57 wheel!

Comment

AFAIK, "improvement" is the steering wheel, which is dished, and a little smaller diameter than 56. The 56 spokes are flatter, like a tractor steering wheel. The dished wheel comes back a little farther, angles away from the seat, and goes toward the belly and away from the legs. This makes it easier to get in and out of the car, as it is not as necessary to, "slide" under the wheel for most folks, depending on body size and shape. The depth of the dish is offset a bit, by a slightly shorter steering column than 56. I once had a 56J someone had installed a 57 wheel in, is how I came to know the differences. It was a neat job, and included the shorter, 57 steering column, etc. I'd consider it different; not an improvement, just different.

Comment

One thing I'll never try again....Years ago I found and installed a NOS 1956 steering wheel (the white 'bone' color') in my '56 Golden Hawk!....Trouble was, it was the '56 SEDAN version, which I didn't realize when I purchased it.

Talk about 'shoehorn' sliding under THAT baby! (was at least 1" larger diameter than the C-K version)

Comment

This is indeed a fabulous automobile. I love that color combo.
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                      AFAIK, "improvement" is the steering wheel, which is dished, and a little smaller diameter than 56. The 56 spokes are flatter, like a tractor steering wheel. The dished wheel comes back a little farther, angles away from the seat, and goes toward the belly and away from the legs. This makes it easier to get in and out of the car, as it is not as necessary to, "slide" under the wheel for most folks, depending on body size and shape. The depth of the dish is offset a bit, by a slightly shorter steering column than 56. I once had a 56J someone had installed a 57 wheel in, is how I came to know the differences. It was a neat job, and included the shorter, 57 steering column, etc. I'd consider it different; not an improvement, just different.
                      The '57 or later steering gear box was the improvement - easier to steer and better centering than the '56 and earlier steering gear box. The later steering wheel was just the evidence that the later steering gear box had been installed.

Comment

The '57 or later steering gear box was the improvement - easier to steer and better centering than the '56 and earlier steering gear box. The later steering wheel was just the evidence that the later steering gear box had been installed.
                        I think you mean 58 and later. The 56-57 gearboxes, etc., are identical, except for the differences I noted.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                          I think you mean 58 and later. The 56-57 gearboxes, etc., are identical, except for the differences I noted.
                          Better check your Chassis Manual. 1956 Presidents (56H) used the Type S Steering Gear. 1957 Presidents (57H) used the Type SL Steering Gear. It does look like a small number of Canadian built 1956 Presidents used a Type TL Steering Gear in mid-production. But, basically: 1956 President - Type S, 1957 President - Type SL.

Comment

Better check your Chassis Manual. 1956 Presidents (56H) used the Type S Steering Gear. 1957 Presidents (57H) used the Type SL Steering Gear. It does look like a small number of Canadian built 1956 Presidents used a Type TL Steering Gear in mid-production. But, basically: 1956 President - Type S, 1957 President - Type SL.
                            Perhaps you are confusing power steering with manual steering then. This car has power steering, unless the PS pump in the pic is an illusion. I have been talking about PS here. If you are still confused, perhaps you need to, "check your Chassis Manual".

Comment

Right you are...I thought I remembered this was a standard steering car but it obviously is a power steering car.

Comment

Working...
                              X