No announcement yet.

Parking brake adjustment (1966)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Parking brake adjustment (1966)

My car has the pedal type emergency/parking brake and I think it needs tightening. The pedal can be depressed almost to the dimmer switch on the floor and while it does engage the brakes, it must be about 5 or 6 "clicks". I read in the manual that dragging should be happening starting on the second click. How many clicks should it be to be fully engaged? Thanks.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Originally posted by Scott View Post
    My car has the pedal type emergency/parking brake and I think it needs tightening. The pedal can be depressed almost to the dimmer switch on the floor and while it does engage the brakes, it must be about 5 or 6 "clicks". I read in the manual that dragging should be happening starting on the second click. How many clicks should it be to be fully engaged? Thanks.
    Make sure your rear brakes are properly adjusted, then take a peek at the undercar adjustment, it should be a threaded rod with a couple of nuts on it.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I think mine rear brakes are self adjusting. This car has front discs, but the rear axle was replaced and is a tapered axle. The rear brakes use a wheel cylinder that is 1" in diameter, I believe. Does that sound like the self adjusting kind of setup? I think I was told that it is.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
        I think mine rear brakes are self adjusting. This car has front discs, but the rear axle was replaced and is a tapered axle. The rear brakes use a wheel cylinder that is 1" in diameter, I believe. Does that sound like the self adjusting kind of setup? I think I was told that it is.
        I know the 4 wheel drum brake Studes had 'normal' adjustments on their brakes; I'm pretty sure IF your tapered axle rear end came from a disc brake car, it has an oddball rear shoe/adjustment setup. Hopefully some of our regulars will chime in here..............
        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Drum brake cars have the wide, oval hole for adjusting with a "brake spoon" while the disc brake cars have 2 studs with locking nuts. Turning those studs moves an acentric inside that moves the shoe towards or away from the drum. They are not self adjusting while the drum brake cars are providing all the parts are there.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
          X