wheel size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: wheel size

I am selling a set of 15 inch wheels from my 1965 commander to a person who owns a 1956 Sky Hawk. Will they fit and will his hubcaps work on those wheels? I am delivering them to him and its 1 1/2 hrs away so I don't want to waste a trip if they won't . Thanks for help.

They are "Speedster" wire wheel covers...

Comment

Full wheel covers should interchange on any 50's or 60's Stude wheel... the diameter is the same where the WCs fit on.

Comment

The only differences that may matter between 1956 and 1965 would be the Hub Cap Clips for the small Hub Caps, if you are running Wheel Covers, no Prob. there.

The wheel width is 5 Inches on a '56 and 4 1/2 Inches on a '59-'66 non-Jet Thrust or Avanti.

UPDATE: OK Klif is correct, I was thinking Stock Wheel Covers, not Wire Wheel Covers, those with Speedster experience would certainly know that.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 04-11-2016, 07:54 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The wheels are not the same. The Speedster cap will only fit the 56 and back with the clips removed. The centers shape is different. The part with the knobs for the small caps hit the basket.
          Klif
          55 Speedster/Street Machine
          63 Avanti R2
          64 Convertible R1

Comment

I put 1955 Speedster wire wheel covers on my 1962 Daytona in 1967, much better looking than a whole wheel cover.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1704742
            Last edited by daytonadave; 04-21-2016, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Some 65 and all 66 cars were to be delivered with 5" wide wheels. I gave Bob Palma a service bulletin dated sometime in 65 explaining the running change. I do not recall the actual date of the change.
              james r pepper

Comment

May have been for drum brake cars. My 66 Daytona with front discs has 4 1/2 wide wheels.
                Originally posted by jpepper View Post
                Some 65 and all 66 cars were to be delivered with 5" wide wheels. I gave Bob Palma a service bulletin dated sometime in 65 explaining the running change. I do not recall the actual date of the change.
                sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                1950 Champion Convertible
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

According to the 65-66 parts book, the switch to 5" wide wheels didn't take place until midway through the 66 model year.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

I guess that answers that question. My car was one of the very first 66's and was actually a 65 that was transformed into a 66, one of the 12 missing 65's. I'm guessing that Studebaker was running low on 4 1/2 inch wheels and had a stock pile of Avanti wheels to use up, so started putting the 5 inch wheels on the sedans.
                    Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                    According to the 65-66 parts book, the switch to 5" wide wheels didn't take place until midway through the 66 model year.
                    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                    1950 Champion Convertible
                    1950 Champion 4Dr
                    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
                    X