• Beautiful 1959 Lark with V8 on MPLS Craislist for only $4500

This is a very clean nice looking Lark.

Niiiiice....
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

The ad says, "selling to settle an estate...$4,500 or make offer." It is an eleven day old ad. This leads me to a few conclusions. Looking at the car, the owner probably was one of us. Like a lot of us, his survivors apparently don't value the car as much as he. In addition, they apparently are not surrounded by neighbors dreaming of owning an old Lark.

My suggestion, for someone living close enough to drive over, is to call the seller, set up a time to go look the car over. Carry $2,500 cash with you and make an offer. Even if it is worth much more, keep your poker face, stick to the offer, give him your phone number, and be prepared to drive away. I have lost a few deals this way, but not many. Good chance of this method eliciting a "counter offer," that will reveal how much they really value the car. The "make offer" comment is a dead give away that the car can be bought for less. The key is to buy the car for a reasonable price to fix, drive, or re-sell with a chance of making a few bucks, or, at least, breaking even.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

That Car looks to me like a very good Deal even at the asking price, because it does show quite a bit of maintenance, but as John said, always a good idea to have a closer look if you can.

It sometimes is amazing how much Labor and Parts money can be spent by a dedicated, long time Stude. owner for a keeper WITHOUT it showing in Pics and current "caretakers" or flippers will NEVER know what it is like to completely and properly Rebuild a King Pin Front Suspension, Steering, and Brake systems or even a Stude. V8.
        So deals from this type of former, but no longer with us Owners can be a major steal!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It's been for sale for much longer than just 11 days. I saw it advertised several months ago, and I think I found a post in the Forum for the same car from back in September when it was advertised for $6,000.
          Mark L

Comment

Nice car but too many doors. Not that there is anything wrong with doors but they do have a negative effect of price/saleability of collector/special interest cars.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It's been for sale for at least 6 months. I tried to get more info on it a few months ago but didn't get much of a response. Would love to buy it if it looks as nice in person and runs well

Comment

looks like a nice car indeed. Being realistic, its probably worth about $2500-3000. And from the above posts - maybe a realistic buy price too. If I were in the market for a Lark driver....how could you go wrong with this car ? I'd like to have it eye-balled before (from a distance)...

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                  looks like a nice car indeed. Being realistic, its probably worth about $2500-3000. And from the above posts - maybe a realistic buy price too. If I were in the market for a Lark driver....how could you go wrong with this car ? I'd like to have it eye-balled before (from a distance)...
                  I totally disagree with that valuation. This car should easily bring $4500 from anyone who doesn't look down on 4 doors.
                  "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

If this is the same car....and I'm pretty sure it is...... I encountered him at the Stude Int'l meet in Madison, WI in 2000. He had just inherited it from his mother (or grandmother) at that time and it was almost a brand new car then. i think it had 30K or less on it at that time. I know he has driven it some and would attend shows.

If I had a place in my stable, I would own it. it is the 4 door sibling to my car. That's what caused us to meet way back then is the color and likeness. Same option set.

I believe it is as nice as the pic.
                    Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                    1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Sure glad my wife says no more projects, am 3 hours away from this four door. Also have two 4 doors sitting behind the barn waiting on me.

Comment

Nice car, and not a bad price if it's as clean as it looks!

Comment

Working...
                        X