1956 Studebaker Champion Four Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1956 Studebaker Champion Four Door

Just back from the Charlotte Auto Fair. There where no Studebakers there. Wish I would have had ours ready. Darn. I seen one Packard.

I hate it when that happens.

Dean.

Comment

Originally posted by John McElfresh View Post
      Just back from the Charlotte Auto Fair. There where no Studebakers there. Wish I would have had ours ready. Darn. I seen one Packard.
      John, today (Saturday) is the day that the NC Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club will be meeting at the Charlotte Auto Fair.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

In earlier times, before the Auto Fair became so huge, our Studebaker group had a highly visible place of honor on pit road. However, as the event grew, in numbers, prestige, and vendors...apparently real estate for "paid vending" became much too valuable to offer it up for free to us lowly SDC folks. After being relegated to a parking lot, the approximately 210 mile round trip, Charlotte traffic, and the additional traffic of all the mall (Bass Pro Shop) growth of the last decade has made it too stressful and not so much fun anymore. There was a time when I wouldn't miss it. Now, I can not recall the last time I attended.

In fact, I've only been to one race there in over twenty years. That was two years ago, with "free" tickets. After that traffic entanglement, gun toting drunks fighting in the parking lot, my race attendance is forever by television, with a better view, from my couch! I didn't survive combat in Vietnam to become collateral victim to a dumb-assed drunk in a parking lot with a bad aim.

Perhaps the situation has changed since my last attendance. If so, my apologies to those organizing the event. But, my memory of the stress of getting there and back, has kept me away.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John, I sent another PM.
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

DO we have a field location? Or a parking lot spot?

Comment

Originally posted by John McElfresh View Post
              DO we have a field location? Or a parking lot spot?
              Red Field, space *BR-077. Not sure what the asterisk means tho.......
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                In earlier times, before the Auto Fair became so huge, our Studebaker group had a highly visible place of honor on pit road. However, as the event grew, in numbers, prestige, and vendors...apparently real estate for "paid vending" became much too valuable to offer it up for free to us lowly SDC folks. After being relegated to a parking lot, the approximately 210 mile round trip, Charlotte traffic, and the additional traffic of all the mall (Bass Pro Shop) growth of the last decade has made it too stressful and not so much fun anymore. There was a time when I wouldn't miss it. Now, I can not recall the last time I attended.

In fact, I've only been to one race there in over twenty years. That was two years ago, with "free" tickets. After that traffic entanglement, gun toting drunks fighting in the parking lot, my race attendance is forever by television, with a better view, from my couch! I didn't survive combat in Vietnam to become collateral victim to a dumb-assed drunk in a parking lot with a bad aim.

Perhaps the situation has changed since my last attendance. If so, my apologies to those organizing the event. But, my memory of the stress of getting there and back, has kept me away.
                No, the situation has not changed. Back in those 'old days', myself, Carl Shontz, and K.V. Smith would go all four days to AutoFair. Not any more.......for the reasons you mentioned, plus there are so many people who just congregate in the swap meet lanes and block 'traffic' it's hard to make good time looking for parts. Plus all the people on handicapped golf carts that try to run you over.........'nuff said about that. My youngest son and I did go last year on Saturday and drove the '54, and the NCSDC had a pretty good spot inside one of the fields. Was planning on going today but am in the middle of assembling an engine and didn't want to stop (good way to overlook something).
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Gosh, talk about an incongruity! What does all of this about the Charlotte Auto Fair have to do with a '56 Champion?
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                    Gosh, talk about an incongruity! What does all of this about the Charlotte Auto Fair have to do with a '56 Champion?
                    Great point, Ron. But, as part of my theory about the "Studebaker Personality"...incongruity fits. It is part of our "off the beaten path" DNA. Why else would our chief moderator give himself the title of "Chief Cat Herder?"
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                      Because John, the original poster, has a 1956 Studebaker Champion Four Door.
                      Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Thanks Paul.

Comment

You're welcome John! Did you get a chance to go on Saturday?
                          Paul
                          Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

I liked John Clary's answer better! So perhaps I should title all my threads as '56 Parkview'? Wouldn't that be confusing! Okay John McElfresh, at least post a picture of your car? C'mon, I need a '56 fix here! 'Course, I could give Bess a hug next time I make it out to the 'Lodge... Yeah, it's been too long driving a Japanese econo-bubble for me.
                            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                            Ron Smith
                            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker 56 four door.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1704733There you go Ron. Paul had concert in go to on Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                              X