Throttle Bell Crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Bell Crank

Guys, I just cleaned up my throttle bell crank that is installed on my 1960 Lark. It has a wear issue at the very bottom of the vertical shaft where the shaft pivots through the bottom brace. I am sure that this is a common problem experienced with high mileage cars. Is there a way to bush this hole so it is round instead of egg shaped?

Yes.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Kjelmyr

Guys, I just cleaned up my throttle bell crank that is installed on my 1960 Lark. It has a wear issue at the very bottom of the vertical shaft where the shaft pivots through the bottom brace. I am sure that this is a common problem experienced with high mileage cars. Is there a way to bush this hole so it is round instead of egg shaped?
      Yep, I've done it. Use a hacksaw or cutoff wheel to open up the eye at the bottom of the bracket. You can then maneuver the bellcrank shaft around and hit the wear groove with a bead from a MIG welder, and grind it smooth. Close the loop over it again, and weld up the cut you made. A ten-minute job, once the bellcrank is off the engine.

What would really be cool would be to see if one could install flanged Oilite bushings top and bottom on the bellcrank. I think GM door hinge bushings might work.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Good idea, Gord, but the sheet metal bracket would need a sleeve to hold the oilite bearing otherwise the wear groove would be in the bearing and that won't weld up. Its a matter of quality in the bracket that isn't there. (Studebaker didn't design for the 21st century.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars3.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe
        '55 President State Sedan Project
        '60 Lark VI (Now on the market)
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

If I leave it as is will this make my throttle stick open do you think? Thanks for the great idea. It is already off the car so it won't take too long.

Comment

That is a slick idea to weld it. I've been dealing with my throttle sticking at about 2000 rpm, unless I either "blip" the throttle every time I stop or use all of my allowance on WD-40. I went to the hardware store and looked at brass bushings that were about the right size, but I couldn't figure out how to get the shaft out, through them and back in without cutting and welding it. But it seems like a funky alloy, and I'm not great with the welder, and it seems like alignment would be pretty critical, so I've done nothing. Except raise the stock price of WD-40

Comment

....the quick, cheap way to fix it is to simply bend the bottom tang down about 30 degrees so as to create a tighter (albeat, an oblong)opening.....

Comment

Working...
              X