Forum Upgrade...GREAT!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Upgrade...GREAT!!!

"We will be conducting Forum maintenance over the next few days, beginning 7 April 2016, which will result in improvements to performance and reliability! During this time, the Forum may be offline and unavailable for periods of time without advance notice. Please be aware of possible service interruptions.'

In other words...the last sentence above explains that the forum performance may continue to work as we have become accustomed to expect for the last few months. Back when I first joined the forum, we had a different service that was quickly going down hill. When someone drags up an old thread from that time, it reminds us how awful it had become. Almost every post was being posted double. Now our current service seemed to be headed the same direction. Besides the view counter going on the blink...I have noticed a few double posts like the old service. I"m so embarrassingly ignorant of the mechanics of how internet communication works, that I hesitate to complain. I wouldn't want to point fingers at the wrong person.

Thanks for the notification. To the mysterious folks doing the actual work...I'm pulling for your success!!!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Originally posted by jclary View Post
    When someone drags up an old thread from that time, it reminds us how awful it had become. Almost every post was being posted double.
    I remember it differently.
    The double posts are ones that were made before the 'new' system, and only showed up after the changeover.

Besides the search function issues- what other problems are happening here now?
    I was not aware of any, but I have not been here nearly as much as I used to be either.

StudeDave '57
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Lets keep Our Fingers crossed

Originally posted by jclary View Post
      "We will be conducting Forum maintenance over the next few days, beginning 7 April 2016, which will result in improvements to performance and reliability! During this time, the Forum may be offline and unavailable for periods of time without advance notice. Please be aware of possible service interruptions.'

In other words...the last sentence above explains that the forum performance may continue to work as we have become accustomed to expect for the last few months. Back when I first joined the forum, we had a different service that was quickly going down hill. When someone drags up an old thread from that time, it reminds us how awful it had become. Almost every post was being posted double. Now our current service seemed to be headed the same direction. Besides the view counter going on the blink...I have noticed a few double posts like the old service. I"m so embarrassingly ignorant of the mechanics of how internet communication works, that I hesitate to complain. I wouldn't want to point fingers at the wrong person.

Thanks for the notification. To the mysterious folks doing the actual work...I'm pulling for your success!!!
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I belong to a lot of forums. I would say this one works about like all the others.

Thanks to the people who make it happen!
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Seems to function pretty well, other than the occasional failure of the thumbs to open and the poor search function. Other forums I'm on are cluttered with ads, too many sub-forums and too much active-X activities to make them useable. Please don't "fix it too good" !!

Comment

Change is good.
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Any use of "computer" and "upgrade" in the same post is always scary until one actually sees it working correctly.

Comment

hopefully they can ad a Classifieds...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
                  Seems to function pretty well, other than the occasional failure of the thumbs to open and the poor search function. Other forums I'm on are cluttered with ads, too many sub-forums and too much active-X activities to make them useable. Please don't "fix it too good" !!
                  Well, for the past fifteen years or so I've owned another forum that's similar in nature to this one and I can tell you that the poor performance of a search function is usually caused by the users and not the software. We had forum upgrade after forum upgrade and our providers did upgrade after upgrade of their servers but the search feature would still get worse and worse. Every once in a while we'd have to do it the old fashioned way and I'd have to go into the system and scour through thousands of posts in order to find and delete as many posts as I could that had nothing to do with the topic named in the subject line. I'd also have to often completely rewrite the subject line so that it would fit the actual topic of the thread in question. That would improve the search function for a while - until the number of off-topic posts would again gum up the works.

Most of you guys probably don't realize how badly thread drift can jam these systems up. It's one of the reasons I often harp about thread drift.
                  Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                  Kenmore, Washington
                  hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                  '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                  '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                  '69 Pontiac Firebird
                  (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Thank you for all you do I'm hooked on this forum.

Comment

I am so thrilled to be able to be a part of such a great forum. Everyone involved in the background, keep up the good work as it is very much appreciated by those of us challenged by modern technology.
                      Cheers, Bill

Comment

I have been a member of many forums over the years and I find this one the easiest and least stressful to use. Just the fact that its not clouded with advertisements alone makes it top notch. Thanks to all that make it happen.

Comment

Ah... no... change is not always good. I have rather geriatric computers and am hoping whatever change is done will be compatible with my XP and Vista systems. My preference would be to spend money on the Studebakers rather than computers that are compatible with the latest whiz-bang technology. The people upgrading things just don't seem to keep people like me in mind. Or simply don't care...

By the by, as forums go, this is one of the better ones, if not the best, that I belong to. There are several I backed out of because of "upgrades" that simply weren't compatible with my equipment. Either that or the Ads. I HATE advertisements! They're obnoxious and use up valuable cycles I would rather use elsewhere!

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                          X