PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Battery disconnect

Sdude
04-03-2016, 11:29 PM
Just finishing up my new secret compartment. Inside is battery disconnect switch, outside hood release, and keyed door unlock switch.

52827 52828 52829 52830 52831

Lou Van Anne
04-03-2016, 11:45 PM
My, My, My....you are a clever fellow! I promise, I'll never tell a soul....I'll keep it a secret for sure. :whome:

Sdude
04-03-2016, 11:52 PM
My, My, My....you are a clever fellow! I promise, I'll never tell a soul....I'll keep it a secret for sure. :whome:

You can check it out in a couple of weeks. I should get the car back in a couple of days. I'll drive it to Stockton if I can remember my phone...

Sdude
04-03-2016, 11:59 PM
For those of you familiar with my St Louis trip story, My battery went dead in St Louis and I couldn't get to the battery to to jump start it because the hood release was inside the power door locked car. With the electrical issues that plagued the return trip home to California, I was disconnecting the battery every night. These little hidden jewels should make life easier should something like that happen in the future. I now have 3 ways to get into the locked car. Overkill - oh yeah. If I had it to do over, I would never have installed power door locks or power windows.

StudeRich
04-04-2016, 12:02 AM
I do not recommend posting this on your Facebook Page! :D

Sdude
04-04-2016, 12:09 AM
I do not recommend posting this on your Facebook Page! :D

It's still not going to get anyone inside the car without a key. I figured I could trust my studebaker chums. I thought it was just way too cool not to share with somebody. It was my crazy idea but Wayne was the one who figured out how to make it happen. Wayne's son kept teasing him that he needs to learn how to say no to insane requests.

ndynis
04-04-2016, 07:48 AM
Looks like a very clean, great idea.
Thanks for posting
Nick

SScopelli
04-04-2016, 03:27 PM
Just finishing up my new secret compartment. Inside is battery disconnect switch, outside hood release, and keyed door unlock switch.

52827 52828 52829 52830 52831

Awesome.. Should install a plug to hookup an external power source like on Aircraft..

https://www.sportys.com/media/catalog/product/9/6/9634_4.jpg

swvalcon
04-04-2016, 04:07 PM
Knew a guy that thought shaved door handles would be cool. So he install's power windows, Power door locks inside and out, power trunk with battery in trunk.I'am sure you can see where this is going. Anyway he goes to town in his street rod and goes to leave a parking spot. Hit's the key and battery post must have been loose . No power, Thing is he is inside car with windows up no way to get out and no way for anyone to get into trunk to help out and nothing but powerlocks on everything. Now that's what you call smart.

48skyliner
04-05-2016, 02:27 AM
In a previous life, I took a Datsun 240Z and built a convertible. When I showed it to the local dealer, who was very experienced, he gave me some good advice. "Never lock your convertible - nothing you have inside it is worth as much as a new custom made top, and anyone with a sharp knife can get in. Make your trunk hard to open with well hidden release, and keep anything valuable in the trunk. Install a cheap stereo, or none at all." I did all that and had a very well hidden but easily accessible switch for the fuel pump.

On my current sports car, a very careful examination will show there is one accessory missing, but the switch for it is still on the dash. That is now used for the fuel pump. On a fuel injected car the engine will not run without the fuel pump. On a carbureted car, the engine will start, but only run for a short time until the float bowl is empty.

Mrs K Corbin
04-05-2016, 09:34 AM
3 on the Tree...... with a stomp starter.
I leave the keys in just hoping some Kid will try.....LOL

swvalcon
04-05-2016, 09:38 AM
48skyliner. Just what I did with my old corvette. Never left anything in it worth stealing and had stock $5.00 GM radio. Most of the time I parked it with the T tops out.

jclary
04-05-2016, 09:54 AM
.... I figured I could trust my studebaker chums.....

Not so sure 'bout that.;) Who else would want to swipe a STUDEBAKER????:rolleyes:

Mike Van Veghten
04-05-2016, 09:20 PM
The only problem with a "hidden" power shutoff being next to the hood release...it the first time some moron sees you open the hood...there's the switch for all to see.

My power switch also hidden...in plane sight, along with needing to do three things to turn on the ignition and then spin the starter. I'll be a daily driver when done, so it'll be out in the open.

But...it can still be towed away.

And yea, I know someone that had his empty, bare body hulk of a Conestoga stolen...

Mike

Sdude
04-05-2016, 11:46 PM
The only problem with a "hidden" power shutoff being next to the hood release...it the first time some moron sees you open the hood...there's the switch for all to see.

Mike

The other hood release is inside the car. This hood release can be accessed from the outside in case my battery was dead. Can't get inside with a dead battery when the door locks and windows are electric.

Sdude
04-25-2016, 10:42 AM
53451 All finished. Needed to add a popper to get the door open. Come to Lou's in Stockton this Saturday and I'll show it to you.
It's not something I necessarily need to keep secret. Knowing about it won't get you into the car without a key. I just love it and can't not share it.

karterfred88
04-25-2016, 03:31 PM
Looks good to me!! I just put an on/off gas line valve under the carpet under the front seat to cut the fuel flow. Also used to carry a small sliver of Saran Wrap that I would put between the points when I needed to leave the car for an extended time. They might figure out the fuel line trick when it won't start, but insulating the points was a lot tougher to find. Of course that was back in the 60s when stealing cars was a simple matter of using a coat hanger to open the door, hot wiring, and driving away. Of course that stopped the theft of the whole car, didn't plan on them jacking the car up with some bumper jacks, and stealing all 4 Mags and tires, and dropping it on the ground for me. Thieves have moved on and up from car theft, now they just steal your ID, use it to buy a car and get you to pay for it.