No announcement yet.

Hard line from mechanical pump to Edelbrock carb. with an in-line filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Hard line from mechanical pump to Edelbrock carb. with an in-line filter

I have a 63 289. I want to run a hard line from the mechanical pump to an in-line filter and then to my new Edelbrock 1403 carburetor. I'd like to use a filter with threaded connections and avoid the type that connect with rubber hose. I have found numerous filters with -6 AN connectors but all of the affordable (about $25 or less) are 40 micron and usually listed as pre-filters. I have read that I should use a 10 micron filter.

I did find a couple of clear filters that have removable hose barb fittings and could possibly be a usable pipe thread but they do not list their micron rating. One says it has a nylon screen and the other Stainless Steel mesh.

Any ideas from someone who has done this?
    I've got the fuel pump and the carburetor ends figured out. I'm planning on using 5/16" zinc coated steel line.

Thanks.
    Cliff
    54 Commander Coupe driver
    53 Commander Hardtop project
    SE Washington State

Just keep in mind that an exposed metal line absorbs heat very efficiently!!

Treblig

Comment

I use these, 3/8" NPT. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-10210/overview/ I'm not sure about the 10 micron unless you are running EFI though. This way you have a choice of fittings. You can also buy insulation for the line if you so desire.

The other thing I've been known to do is use is rubber (EFI) grade stainless braid covered fuel line. It can be used with gear clamps. Bob
      Last edited by sweetolbob; 04-03-2016, 11:00 AM.

Comment

I notice that a lot of the fuel system fittings are red and/or blue anodized. Is it possible to remove the anodizing for a natural aluminum finish without hurting the part?
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Yes, this will remove most anodozing colors.https://jet.com/product/detail/06986...FQsPaQodRDoGww
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Here is a pic of Edelbrock conversion on my 54 ( it's on a 289 engine) ; It uses a three connector filter with the third connection to take vapor back to the top of the fuel filler tube. This was done to 1. reduce vapor lock and 2. to quit messing aroud with the old Carter. This has been done to all of my non-supercharged cars. Very pleased with result nowithstanding the ugly Edelbrock sticker. Ken, Deltaville, Va
            Attached Files

Comment

Have any trophy shop make you an engraved plate and epoxy or 2 sided trim tape it over the offending sticker.
              Originally posted by ken-renda View Post
              Here is a pic of Edelbrock conversion on my 54 ( it's on a 289 engine) ; It uses a three connector filter with the third connection to take vapor back to the top of the fuel filler tube. This was done to 1. reduce vapor lock and 2. to quit messing aroud with the old Carter. This has been done to all of my non-supercharged cars. Very pleased with result nowithstanding the ugly Edelbrock sticker. Ken, Deltaville, Va
              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
              1950 Champion Convertible
              1950 Champion 4Dr
              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

On the edlebrock they sell an "L" shaped fuel line that goes from the side of the carb to the front of the carb. They also sell a gas filter that goes on the end of the L. I used this and the took a solid gas line down to the fuel pump. Works fine on my 64 Cruiser with 289.

Mark

Comment

I used silicone tubing to keep my fuel line from absorbing heat. I also used a section between the carb and the fuel pump.

trebligClick image for larger version

Name:	DSC05394.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	1704531Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05398.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1704532

Comment

Originally posted by Bullet View Post
                    On the edlebrock they sell an "L" shaped fuel line that goes from the side of the carb to the front of the carb. They also sell a gas filter that goes on the end of the L. I used this and the took a solid gas line down to the fuel pump. Works fine on my 64 Cruiser with 289.

Mark
                    That's a great way to do it because it eliminates two connections in the fuel line. I have the "L" shaped line and a 1/2" spacer under the carb. I had to bend the line up a bit just to get it to clear the manifold in front. I think I would need a 1" carb spacer to get enough clearance to put the filter there and then I might have hood clearance problems since this is a 63 289 in a 53 hardtop. That Edelbrock filter is a 40 micron and my main question is has anyone found a 10 micron filter that would connect without using rubber hose? I'm probably over thinking this (as usual) and will end up using a 40 micron and never think about it again.

I really don't think I'll have much crud in the fuel especially not big stuff but I am wondering about the small particles. My fuel tank is a 53 but looks like new inside and everything forward of the tank is new. I have an electric pump near the tank with a momentary switch for priming. The electric pump came with a pre-filter that is probably fairly coarse.
                    Cliff
                    54 Commander Coupe driver
                    53 Commander Hardtop project
                    SE Washington State

Comment

The NAPA and WIX websites have data including micron rating for most of their filters. And pretty good cross-referencing to competitors' filters part numbers too.
                      35 micron is about 0.0015" .

Comment

Summit / Jegs is your friend.
                        35/40 microns seems to be about the standard filter size.
                        I put a 40 before my fuel pump, back at the tank.

35 micron -
                        Free Shipping - Earl's Performance Inline Fuel Filters with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Fuel Filters at Summit Racing.

10 Micron -
                        Free Shipping - Earl's Performance Inline Fuel Filters with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Fuel Filters at Summit Racing.

OR...if you want even finer, check the "Fuelab" brand of filters (Summit). While more expensive, they have elements down to 6 microns.

Mike
                        Last edited by Mike Van Veghten; 04-03-2016, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Wouldn't you think that the very Low Micron Filters below 40, are only needed and will flow properly when you have a High Pressure, in the Tank Fuel Pump for Fuel Injection?

Probably not needed on Carbureted Cars.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You could use a filter from a TBI gm and make your own lines, then slide over some heat shielding (I don't like to run too much rubber line).

Click image for larger version

Name:	15fc90fc-8e77-4ef6-b748-f022b540903d.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1704533

Comment

I don't know the proper name for it, but I found some white plastic wire covering with the split to slip it over the wires. I used it on my Model A to keep the steel fuel lines from absorbing heat, and it works great. Remember white reflects heat much better than black.

I wish I could find some of the old white asbestos wrap, like was sold in the 60's.

Comment

Working...
                              X