Headllight switch kicks on and off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Headllight switch kicks on and off

Have a 62 Hawk. Just installed a new headlight switch. This is not rocket science. After about 5 min the headlights will shut off. I can hear the breaker kick them off. Then about two min later they will turn on. It seems the breaker is kicking things on and off. I did not have this problem with my old switch. The only reason I changed them was so they would match the other switches. There are only 4 wires. One, power in. The other three are headlights, taillights, and front running lights. They are wired so the headlights and taillights come on in one direction and then wired so front running lights and taillights come on. That is all there is to it.
    Has anyone else had this problem? Both switches have a 20 breaker. I wonder if my new breaker is bad causing them to kick off.

Replace the breaker.!

Comment

If you have switched headlights to something that draws more current it could be just doing it's job. If that were the case, you would need to wire a relay into the circuit.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

It sounds like the circuit breaker needs to be replaced. Try switching the new breaker with the old one and I would suspect your problem will disappear. Bud

Comment

Since you just replaced the switch, that's the first place I'd look. It may be faulty.
          Chip
          '63 Cruiser
          '57 Packard wagon
          '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
          '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

I agree with Chip. The relay worked correctly before you changed the switch. Either when you installed the switch something is wired incorrectly or is touching ground or the switch is defective (could be the case either for a new one or a used one).
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Going to try a new breaker. I went back to the old switch with all the same wires and it stayed on. Then put on the new switch and it all happen again. Even kicked off with just the headlights on and the bulbs puled for the tail lights.

Comment

If it worked with the old switch and didn't work with the new switch, why are you replacing the breaker. It's the switch that malfunctioning.
                sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                1950 Champion Convertible
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Both switches have a different breaker system. You can hear the breaker kick off and kick back on when the new one is wired in. The old one does not do that. Because the breakers are different I can't swap them out.

Comment

Could it be that the old breaker wasn't working and it wouldn't trip ?
                    Are the existing wires crispy ?
                    You may have had a problem with the wiring all along and the new one is working.
                    Can you test the circuit breaker, put a load on and find out at what amp they trip ?
                    Pulling the bulbs doesn't address a ground at the wires.
                    Can you put the wires on independently to see is one circuit is grounded ?
                    South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

It seems it was the breaker. PUt a new one in and the lights have stayed on for 20 min. They use to go off about 4 min after being on.
                      Thanks for everyone help. Electric can be a pain to deal with when wires go everywhere under the dash.

Comment

Working...
                      X