Blasphemy.... Wagonaire Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blasphemy.... Wagonaire Style

And even in 2004, they still couldn't get it right....

(first posted 3/30/2016)   Take a seventeen-foot, extended-length SUV, take out the actually usable third row, replace the entire trunk area with waterproof truck lining, separate it from the passenger compartment […]

(copy)
    BY BRENDAN SAUR
    overly
    At the same time, the XUV only sat five passengers, or the same as the standard-length Envoy, which was 17 inches shorter in length and six inches lower in total height. As aforementioned, the Envoy XUV actually had a smaller cargo capacity than the seven-passenger Envoy XL, which had nearly identical exterior dimensions.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Agreed, Jeff; thumbs-down, for sure.

Brendan does acknowledge the Wagonaire, but tries to downplay it to bolster his party line about GM's "innovative ideas" and such. Since he only used stock advertising photos, he could have copied a Wagonaire photo from 'most anywhere to better frame his writing.

Ridiculous. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

When GM was designing the Envoy XUV, they knew a great deal about the Wagonaire. One of their designers found my web site with some Wagonaire photos and called me. We discussed the good and bad points of the Studebaker design by Brooks Stevens, like the water leaks and exhaust fumes coming in the rear section. I sent him copies of the parts catalog pages showing the bits and pieces of the roof mechanism, and told him to visit the Studebaker National Museum to see one. To GM's credit, they did make the rear section water-compatible and they added the window behind the row of middle seats to block the fumes and wind noise. There were only about 20,000 Wagonaires and fixed roof wagons made in the 1963-66 period. I wonder how many XUV's got built.

A while back, I Photoshopped my Wagonaire onto the wheels, running boards, and chassis of my Expedition. The result looks surprisingly modern. Even better with a couple inches chopped from the roof height.

Click image for larger version

Name:	65Wagonaire_back_Ash.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1704452 Click image for larger version

Name:	wagtree2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1704455 Click image for larger version

Name:	Wagonaire_SUV.jpg
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	1704453Click image for larger version

Name:	WagonaireSUVchop.jpg
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	1704454
      Gary Ash
      Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
      ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
      '48 M5
      '65 Wagonaire Commander
      '63 Wagonaire Standard
      web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Looks a lot like a Jeep Grand Wagoneer.
        Wonder (tongue in cheek) why?

Comment

I thought the same thing as skyway! I also think it looks like a 60 series Toyota Land Cruiser! (It was a Cruiser after all!....)

That actually looks like a project i would like to do....Take a 4x4 frame and add a Wagonaire body to it!
          Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
          1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

I know it's conventional wisdom to goof on GM, but the writer notes it was sold by all six GM divisions. Maybe someone can enlighten me, but I don't remember a Pontiac, Cadillac, or Saturn version of the TrailBlazer/Envoy/Bravada.
            Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            (formerly Greenville, PA)
            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
            All are in Australia now

Comment

And, the point is...

Comment

The GM version is hard to look at .. Very awkward looking and not attractive at all . Interior is nice though .
                Im not a huge Wagonaire fan but it does look way better then GM's version .
                Love my Lark

Comment

The truth is that while GM was busy suing Avanti for building the Studebaker, Avanti should have sued GM for ripping off the Studebaker Wagonaire. Kind of twisted but true.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                    I know it's conventional wisdom to goof on GM, but the writer notes it was sold by all six GM divisions. Maybe someone can enlighten me, but I don't remember a Pontiac, Cadillac, or Saturn version of the TrailBlazer/Envoy/Bravada.
                    Saab and Isusu got versions as well

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
                      Looks a lot like a Jeep Grand Wagoneer.
                      Wonder (tongue in cheek) why?
                      Ditto me on that, too, especially the chop-top. But the Envoy was butt ugly in any configuration.
                      Mike Davis
                      1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Working...
                      X