What makes a 61 Hawk a GT Hawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a 61 Hawk a GT Hawk?

What makes a 1961 Hawk a GT Hawk? Does someone have a list with all the 61 GT Hawks listed along with their VIN's?

As far as I know the only thing making a '61 Hawk a "GT Hawk" is if it was built with a 4-speed... even then I don't know of anyone who considers a '61 Hawk a GT Hawk, that is left for the '62-64 Hawks.

There's no list that I know of.

Lee

Comment

As far as I know the only thing making a '61 Hawk a "GT Hawk" is if it was built with a 4-speed... even then I don't know of anyone who considers a '61 Hawk a GT Hawk, that is left for the '62-64 Hawks.

There's no list that I know of.

Lee

Comment

The term GT Hawk was only used in some advertising, never a model in 61.

JDP/Maryland
        63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
        spent to date $54664,75
        64 R2 GT (Sid)
        spent to date $62,439.30
        63 Lark 2 door
        51 Commander
        39 Coupe express
        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

The term GT Hawk was only used in some advertising, never a model in 61.

JDP/Maryland
          63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
          spent to date $54664,75
          64 R2 GT (Sid)
          spent to date $62,439.30
          63 Lark 2 door
          51 Commander
          39 Coupe express
          39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

What JDP said. I remember an ad featuring James Mason in which he talks about the "Gran Tourismo" '61 Hawk, but it was a description, not a model. No doubt that was inspiration for using the term as a model designation in '62.

Steve Hudson
            The Dalles, Oregon
            1937 Dictator Flatback sedan (for sale)
            1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
            1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
            1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
            1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
            1960 Hawk (future project?)

Steve Hudson
            The Dalles, Oregon
            1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
            1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

What JDP said. I remember an ad featuring James Mason in which he talks about the "Gran Tourismo" '61 Hawk, but it was a description, not a model. No doubt that was inspiration for using the term as a model designation in '62.

Steve Hudson
              The Dalles, Oregon
              1937 Dictator Flatback sedan (for sale)
              1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
              1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
              1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
              1960 Hawk (future project?)

Steve Hudson
              The Dalles, Oregon
              1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
              1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

Yep; what Steve Hudson said. [}]
                If we had a Studebaker Urban Legends forum, the 1961 GT Hawk would have to be the first three entries, as often as this comes up. Studebaker did not market or identify any 1961 Hawk "Gran Turismo," regardless of equipment or date of manufacture. [:0] BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yep; what Steve Hudson said. [}]
                  If we had a Studebaker Urban Legends forum, the 1961 GT Hawk would have to be the first three entries, as often as this comes up. Studebaker did not market or identify any 1961 Hawk "Gran Turismo," regardless of equipment or date of manufacture. [:0] BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by S2DSteve

The same also applies for the "Champion" term that described the cars (and the band, 'Richard Himber & His Studebaker 'Champions') that was used well before an actual model came out with that name.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by S2DSteve

The same also applies for the "Champion" term that described the cars (and the band, 'Richard Himber & His Studebaker 'Champions') that was used well before an actual model came out with that name.

Craig

Comment

The only thing that makes a 61 Hawk a GT Hawk is one's imagination as the term was not used on a model until 62 as we all know quite well.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

The only thing that makes a 61 Hawk a GT Hawk is one's imagination as the term was not used on a model until 62 as we all know quite well.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                          X