Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just wondering , could they come up with short skirt pistons , and new rods for studebaker crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Just wondering , could they come up with short skirt pistons , and new rods for studebaker crank

Just wondering could some manufactuer come up up with new pistons with short skirts, and new rods , without the studebaker pin? Just wondering ? And put it all on a stude crankshaft?

Yes, it has been done by a few people on a custom basis.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Sure...
      As has been said, modern pistons, modern connecting rods. Most all of the specialty manufacturers will build to suit.

As a few of us have done...
      I have Ross pistons, Total Seal (no gap) rings, Crower rods, a custom roller lifter cam, a custom adjustable cam drive, custom intake manifolds, small diameter stem valves, home made crank triggered ignition.
      I have two engines full of various hot rod parts for the Stude engine.
      Other brands than what I've mentioned will also build custom parts.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
        Sure...I have Ross pistons, Total Seal (no gap) rings, Crower rods, a custom roller lifter cam, a custom adjustable cam drive, custom intake manifolds, small diameter stem valves, home made crank triggered ignition. Mike
        But then, Mike isn't a CASO.

Just wondering could some manufactuer come up up with new pistons with short skirts, and new rods , without the studebaker pin?
        I got a quote from a custom piston manufacturer and all one has to do is pay for four hundred pistons, so for $10,000 in advance and they'll make whatever one wants.

Custom Howards rods for Studes are now NLA, but were $1100 the last set I bought and forged pistons are about $800-1100 depending. There are a couple of tested options.

Starting with a 289" crankshaft, ream the Stude rods to Ford .9122" and use Ford 3.68" pistons and press in the pins for a 308" engine. Ted Harbit was the first to tell me about it twenty years ago. I've done several builds since then.

One of our Racing Studebaker members used 7" SCAT Ford Flathead rods and Ford Coyote pistons.

Bottom line - been done many times for many years, but not easy, not inexpensive, not for the casual builder.

jack vines
        Last edited by PackardV8; 03-26-2016, 07:14 AM.
        PackardV8

Comment

Jack,

How much reciprocating weight is taken out of a piston assembly by going this route?

Ken

Comment

Working...
          X