Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bye-bye '65!

Hi all--

Well, my '65 Commander six, "Elsie" aka "The Bruise", has moved on to pastures greener...Tuesday evening I drove her up to nearby Ancaster to the home of her new owner, a young guy named Mark who's been into the old-car hobby for a while now...and who has better resources than I with which to fix what needs fixing on the Studebaker. This is Mark's first Stude; he's mainly a GM guy and of course likes the '65-66 Studes for their GM power. He's getting bodywork done on the '65 tout de suite, and has promised to bring her by stephenj's place (where she'd latterly been stored) to show off the results...which will, he thinks, be one of two current Ford hues, an electric blue or a silver. He's also hinted he may replace the 194 six with an SBC later on. We're also hopeful Mark will join SDC and the Hamilton Chapter; he's tacitly a Chapter member for the next few months by virtue of having bought a member's car. Time will tell! Either way, now I'm down to one Stude again, my cherished '62 Lark "Betty", which remains for sale also, but if I can swing it I'd still like to take her off the market and get the needed bodywork (especially) and mechanical matters seen to. Nothing would please me more than to breeze into a cruise night in my famously-ratty-looking Lark, now rendered pristine. (Hey, isn't that Steve's old Lark? Nah, can't be, that one's way too shiny, and the arse end isn't dragging on the ground. Oh wait...hey, that's Steve driving it!) There's even a modern equivalent to the oddball blue hue Betty wears...BMW Mini Oxygen Blue. If only somebody'd give me even a light smack with the money stick. Stay tuned...

Steve T

Steve, I'm glad you still have Betty! She is so cool. Don't sweat the looks -- when you are able, get her mechanically reliable and drive the wheels off her.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Steve, you just proved there's always a new home for every Studebaker out there.

Stu Chapman

- - - Updated - - -

Steve, you just proved there's always a new home for every Studebaker out there.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post

Stu Chapman

- - - Updated - - -

Stu Chapman
        Now, if only the reverse had been true 50 years ago......
        (a new Studebaker for every home!)
        Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
        61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
        Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
        Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Quick update about the former Bruise...Mark did indeed get the car refinished tout de suite, and within a couple weeks it was back up on Kijiji and also eBay. I heard at Badenoch (Ontario Chapter swap meet, this past Saturday; went with SDCers Steve Porter and Garnet Bell) that it had sold again. Time will tell. As to the Lark, I'm starting to seek front right bodywork components for that car; will be getting it out of storage later this week. If (and these days it's a big if) I can get the Lark's issues addressed cost-effectively I'll keep that car.

Comment

Bump update...the former Bruise is on either her second or third owner since me, and whoever the current custodian is is having the 194 replaced with a Chevy 305 and the Flightomatic (which was not, by the way, original to the car--she'd been built with a three-on-the-tree) with a manual. The job's being done, as it happens, by a Hamilton Chapter member, who of course recognized the car right away, despite its now being painted all one colour!

Back when I still had the '65 I had various ideas about getting her looking a bit less, uh, piebald on the cheap; several ideas I tried out using Adobe software before settling on the temporary quasi-deliberate-looking two-tone I ended up with...here are two of the ideas. Overall satin black would've been kinda sinister...

And this idea, making use of the panel-by-panel two-toning the car already had, is a not-terribly-close (but who's to know) imitation of one of the 1960s Israeli police cars; the car number "101" is a tip of the hat to 101 Squadron, the original Israeli fighter unit...

S.

Comment

Working...
            X