6v / 12v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 6v / 12v

I want to replace my M15 from 6V to 12V. Is it possible to use the same cable-profile? Thanks in advance for your tips. Bruce

Yes, you can use the same wiring harness, but may have to switch the ammeter wires and coil wires to the opposite posts if you change from positive ground to negative ground.

I love my 6 volt systems and never understood why people insist on changing.
    BTW, my 6 volt system runs my GPS just fine, and will also charge cell phones, if that's the reason you are thinking of changing.

Comment

Good to know about 6V and GPS and cell charging.
      Perry
      \'50 Business Champion
      \'50 Starlight Champion
      \'60 Lark Convertible,
      \'63 GT R1,
      \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

6v wires are heavier gauge than 12v. When doing that conversion the harness is like overkill.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have a 6 volt 54 with a 12 volt 63 V8 reduced to 6 volt , it starts up smartly and runs perfect. I changed the 12 volt condenser to 6 volt. I am very happy with the 6 volt system and would not consider 12 volts. However it may be good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
            I have a 6 volt 54 with a 12 volt 63 V8 reduced to 6 volt , it starts up smartly and runs perfect. I changed the 12 volt condenser to 6 volt. I am very happy with the 6 volt system and would not consider 12 volts. However it may be good for you.
            What did you do about the starter for the 63 V8 running on 6 volts?

Comment

The only reason I would switch to 12V in my '55 President is if I wanted to install A/C.
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

My consideration ist to have enough energy to dispose of light, warning Light, wiper, heating, etc. But obviously my concerns are unfounded.

Comment

Working...
                X