rims and caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: rims and caps

My 58 silver hawk is finally in the garage having the turner brake kit installed. On the car now are 14 inch mustang gt rims, which I am going to change. I am thinking of putting 15 inch crown vic rims on but wonnder will studebaker full disc caps fit those rims? I would like to get back to studebaker caps . Also reviewing old posts did not see any consistant choice of rims when converting to turner kit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1266.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	1704395Bob, I am using my stock wheel covers on Crown Vic steel wheels with no issues.
    Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Since I am yet not sure whether the original wheels of my 54 Champ HT are any good (much rust) I am also interested in possible substitutes that are as original as possible.

Does Crown Vic refer to Crown Victoria Ford wheels? What dimension details are needed to fit Studebakers?

Mine was equipped with Regal Wire Discs but I prefer the dog-dish style (if they are available .... on ebay?).

Thanks for letting me step in on this question!

Comment

The dog dish caps will not fit the Ford wheels. If there are raised lugs for small caps, they will not be correct to mount the Studebaker cap. You may be able to force it on, but it will distort the cap. If there are no raised lugs for the caps, you may be able to add VW hubcap clips to the wheels. Just work carefully and make sure they are centered.
        Originally posted by austrian View Post
        Since I am yet not sure whether the original wheels of my 54 Champ HT are any good (much rust) I am also interested in possible substitutes that are as original as possible.

Does Crown Vic refer to Crown Victoria Ford wheels? What dimension details are needed to fit Studebakers?

Mine was equipped with Regal Wire Discs but I prefer the dog-dish style (if they are available .... on ebay?).

sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

thanks, might have to change plan first try to get crown vic rims failed ,will try again.

Comment

You are correct.I have been told you need six inch back clearance for turner kit on 15-16 inch rims

Comment

I couldn`t find 15" crown Vic wheels for my 51 champion starlight with a turner disc set up so used Ford 15" Ranger Factory steel rims instead.
              when I got the wheels they were already fitted with 225/75/15 tires which I was told were to big !!!!
              Here they are fitted with the 225`s they fit perfect to the hub and clear the caliper too.
              Under the rear fender the tire is about 2 1/2" to 3" away from the chassis and about 2" away from the fender outer lip
              The fronts may restrict the turning lock a little due to maybe rubbing on the inner fender on full lock but a lock stop would stop that if I chose to leave the 225`s mounted
              Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1423.jpg
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1704412Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1424.jpg
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1704413Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1425.jpg
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1704414Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1426.jpg
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	1704415Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1428.jpg
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	1704416
              I will opt for the correct full Studebaker covers
              Geoff

Comment

I tried 16 crown vics and they fit bolt pattern but to close to steering going with my mustang rims for now shaving nub on caliper and they fit.After paint new rims and caps

Comment

Re: Six (6) inch back clearance - I believe Turner's recommendation is for SIX INCH WIDE RIMS - I have 3 3/4" B.S. on my Turner equipped '63 Hawk. If in doubt, contact Jim for the real story.

Paul TK

Comment

thanks paul the kit is installed and mustang rims fit fine. The mechanic spoke with jim several times and he was a great help. The mechanic test drove the car for ten miles without check valve or removing residual valve and said the brakes are great. He will be doing these steps next week .

Comment

Originally posted by austrian View Post

Since no one specifically answered your question: yes, 15" wheels with a 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern from rear-wheel drive Ford cars (Crown Victorias) or pick-up trucks are a good fit for Studes, and give you somewhat wider wheels for more modern tires. As I understand it, the full-wheel covers will fit but the dog-dish caps will not.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

The Ranger wheels shown on "fiveftsix" post can be found on:
                        Ranger 93-09
                        Explorer 93-94, 96-00
                        Mountaineer 97-01
                        Mazda B2300 96-03 [the Mazda was a rebadged Ford]
                        Studebaker used 3/4" lugnuts, 1/2"-20 threads.
                        Ford used larger lug nuts. You will need the larger lugnuts.
                        Dorman wheel nut #611-121.1 is 1/2"-20, right hand thread, 13/16" hex.
                        Dorman wheel nut #611-031.1 is 1/2"-20 left hand thread, 13/16" hex.
                        A couple bucks a piece.
                        In stock usually at NAPA or a good auto parts store.
                        DO NOT use the stock nuts as they will wallow out the hole.
                        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Working...
                        X