Engine froze ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Engine froze ??

The 185 six in the '55 Champion "K" I recently bought is reluctant to turn over by the starter. I put ATF in the cylinders several weeks ago. When I get the front clip off in a few weeks, I'll see if I can turn it manually.

If I don't succeed, I'll be on the hunt for a 259/289 with a T-86.

Advice welcome.

50% atf /50% acetone makes for a more potent combo, give it a try.
    Larry

Comment

Also, the most gentle way to get it loosened is to remove the starter and use a pry bar to move the flywheel one tooth at a time.
      Many folks would like to have that 185 should you decide to give up on it.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Need to get at valves and soak stems also, they will stick an engine also. Luck, Doofus

Comment

since you already got the ATF in the cylinders, dump a little fingernail polish remover (acetone) in on top of it... works like a charm.
          Check out the valve train for sticking, and make sure the thing is out of gear so that the car will roll a little.
          Pull the starter and cram a pry bar in there and one tooth at a time, and most importantly Back and Forth..

Comment

Is it even frozen? Two minutes with a wrench will tell you. No magic goop required.

Comment

Once I get the front clip off, I'll have a little more room to work on it and see if I can get it to budge.

Comment

Working...
              X