PDA

View Full Version : South Bend motels

52-fan
03-23-2016, 06:00 PM
If everything goes according to plan, my brother and I plan to attend the meet in South Bend in May. I haven't been to South Bend since 1983 and, although Joe has been there more recently that that, we don't known about the motels. Can anyone recommend a moderately priced motel in the South Bend area? We don't need fancy, but we don't want to drive that far and find a flea bag waiting. Any places you would avoid?

Stu Chapman
03-23-2016, 06:06 PM
Quality Inn, 215 Dixie Way South, South Bend or Comfort Inn & Suites, Main Street North, Mishawaka. Ask for senior rates or, if qualified, military rates and then compare. The meet hotel is certainly closer but somewhat more expensive.

Stu Chapman

jbwhttail
03-23-2016, 06:25 PM
The May meet always seems to fall on Notre Dame letting out for summer break and rooms can be difficult. My wife and I stayed at Comfort Inn in Mishawaka and it was reasonable(around $85 a night) very nice and clean. Meals were a little more of a drive for decent chain resteraunts also. We decided to bite the bullet and stay at the meet headquarters as it is only once a year and we are only 5 minutes from the fairgrounds and the most fun is in the meet hotel parking lot after the show closes. All I can say is Ed George and his wife know how to tailgate in South Bend!

52-fan
03-23-2016, 07:23 PM
I would love to be at the headquarters, but we will probably be somewhere else.

studegary
03-24-2016, 02:14 PM
I have stayed at many hotels/motels in the South Bend area. The only one that I liked was The Inn at Saint Mary's. I do not know if it fits in your "moderately priced" category. They do include a great breakfast buffet. You could price it out, asking for any possible discounts that may apply to you. If you are only going to stay for a couple of nights, the difference may not amount to that much.

As far as avoiding - to me that is all of the regular motels on the north side of South Bend.

Bob Bryant
03-24-2016, 03:47 PM
I have stayed at Microtel by Wyndham at 222 Dixie Way South which is near Notre Dame. Well-maintained and a decent breakfast. My long-time friend and SB resident showed up and they said he could dine with me after I asked!

TX Rebel
03-25-2016, 12:29 AM
If you do not mind the drive from the N side, call Rick Patel at America's Best Val Inn 574 277-7700.
Rooms are reasonable & Rick runs a tight ship.

SusieQ
03-27-2016, 08:41 PM
We are staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Mishawaka. We did have trouble getting a room and so we aren't staying at the Fairfield where we normally stay. At the Avantifest held recently in Jacksonville, there was talk that the Inn at St. Mary's had gotten really expensive. When we stay in Mishawaka, we always eat at Macris just up the street. There is something for everyone to eat there and you can always find something reasonable. See you all there!!!
BTW, there is a new Holiday Inn Express on Douglas near Notre Dame also.

BobWaitz
03-28-2016, 08:40 AM
I'll second studegary's endorsement of The Inn at St. Mary's. But the truth is there are many more nice motels than a town the size of South Bend warrants due to the presence of Notre Dame. We've stayed in a dozen or more over the years. If you stay on Business 31 (933) you'll find plenty. The Inn at St. Mary's is the southern most and going north we've stayed at most of them. We never even make reservations.

jclary
03-28-2016, 10:59 AM
Good Grief!!!:ohmy: I just looked at the Comfort Suites website. Using their online reservation, their rates show up at $160 bucks per night!:eek: Even if they give some kind of Studebaker discount...it would have to be much more than the usual courtesy 10%. How 'bout those of you planning to stay in Mishawaka???

What are the rates there? I don't travel enough to be good at this.:confused: I could use some guidance. I would hate to drive all those miles and end up passing on a good deal on a Studebaker part because too much of my money went to pay for a carpeted box, with a so so bed, and a television for a couple of nights.:(

In 2009, I made the trip and stayed on the north end. It was (to me) a dump. At the last South Bend International Meet, my wife and I stayed a motel just off the interstate at Elkhart. But, since I'll be traveling alone, that seems a bit distant from the fairgrounds. Mishawaka looks to be the best alternative. I have not called anyone yet. Any input will be greatly appreciated.:)

SusieQ
03-28-2016, 12:16 PM
Good Grief!!!:ohmy: I just looked at the Comfort Suites website. Using their online reservation, their rates show up at $160 bucks per night!:eek: Even if they give some kind of Studebaker discount...it would have to be much more than the usual courtesy 10%. How 'bout those of you planning to stay in Mishawaka???

What are the rates there? I don't travel enough to be good at this.:confused: I could use some guidance. I would hate to drive all those miles and end up passing on a good deal on a Studebaker part because too much of my money went to pay for a carpeted box, with a so so bed, and a television for a couple of nights.:(

In 2009, I made the trip and stayed on the north end. It was (to me) a dump. At the last South Bend International Meet, my wife and I stayed a motel just off the interstate at Elkhart. But, since I'll be traveling alone, that seems a bit distant from the fairgrounds. Mishawaka looks to be the best alternative. I have not called anyone yet. Any input will be greatly appreciated.:)

W are staying in Mishawaka and our rates are less than that. Try the Holiday inn Express in Mishawaka and the one on Douglas near Notre Dame.

Stu Chapman
03-28-2016, 01:11 PM

John, check my post #2. We're booked at the Quality Inn noted there. The rate is $84.60 per night, 2 nights, plus tax, breakfast included.

Stu Chapman

TX Rebel
03-31-2016, 01:19 AM
I have noticed that in recent years some of the worst motels on the N side have closed and new motels have opened. Owners have discovered that catering to the local "clientele" for sex & drug parties is NOT the way to build a successful business.

52-fan
03-31-2016, 10:28 AM
Well, I took Barry's advice and got a room at the America's Best Value Inn. The price is good and it is an easy shot to the fairgrounds.
I hope I am not making a mistake listening to a guy who sometimes sleeps in his truck. ;)

ST2DE5
03-31-2016, 12:20 PM
Howard it is a good motel. Betty and I will be staying there Friday night. We are going to Auburn, In first and down to South Bend Friday.

52-fan
03-31-2016, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the recommendation Carl. There were a lot of good comments on the search site I looked at.
I hope everybody knows I was just having a little fun with Barry. :)

BobWaitz
03-31-2016, 04:20 PM
I will say that about 5 years ago I stayed in a motel on the west side of South Bend that was only $40 per night. I over-paid.

03-31-2016, 04:34 PM
Seeing that you are coming up from the south (I-70 to US 31?), if South Bend and Mishawaka are full, check out rooms in Plymouth, IN. With the new US31, you are 25 minutes or less from the Fairgrounds. Holiday Inn Express, Super 8, Red Rock Inn, etc. & more are in Plymouth. These hotels are likely less travel time than the Mishawaka or Granger locations, and Plymouth is much less congested than any area in St. Joseph County.

StudeNorm
03-31-2016, 04:35 PM
We will be staying at the meet hotel but I certainly don't remember it being $160/night. I guess there is always time to cancel and look elsewhere but probably not going to bother. Hopefully we will be within walking distance.

6hk71400
03-31-2016, 04:42 PM
Just a thought: Go to tripadvisor.com. There are 28 Motels listed with prices and reviews Put the dates in and check prices. Read the reviews then decide.

Hope this helps.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ
Home of Lazarus and Meshach

Stu Chapman
03-31-2016, 05:22 PM
We will be staying at the meet hotel but I certainly don't remember it being $160/night. I guess there is always time to cancel and look elsewhere but probably not going to bother. Hopefully we will be within walking distance.

The meet hotel is closest to the fairgrounds, however I don't consider it within walking distance. Unless of course you really like walking.

Stu Chapman

BobWaitz
03-31-2016, 05:29 PM
Stu, we wouldn't be in this club if we liked walking!

jclary
04-01-2016, 05:07 PM
Seeing that you are coming up from the south (I-70 to US 31?), if South Bend and Mishawaka are full, check out rooms in Plymouth, IN. With the new US31, you are 25 minutes or less from the Fairgrounds. Holiday Inn Express, Super 8, Red Rock Inn, etc. & more are in Plymouth. These hotels are likely less travel time than the Mishawaka or Granger locations, and Plymouth is much less congested than any area in St. Joseph County.

I had already thought about Plymouth. After checking around, and looking at places from South Bend, Mishawaka, Elkhart, and Plymouth...I made reservations right off Hwy 31 in Plymouth. My total stay for two nights will be $126 plus tax. If circumstances allow, I'll see you folks at the fairgrounds.:!::)