PDA

View Full Version : '63 cruisers? Who has them?

leonard
03-22-2016, 08:11 AM
just like to know,how many members have a 1963 to 1966 cruiser and what year you have. thanks in advance.

FleetMaster68
03-22-2016, 09:13 AM
63 cruiser, undergoing resto to a clean driver condition. white with blue interior

Chicken Hawk
03-22-2016, 09:33 AM
Daughter has a '63 Cruiser. R 2+ cam, .060" over, lots of chrome, Edelbrock carb, 200 trans, 3.73 rear with flanged axles, new Rose Mist paint, Cragers, etc., etc. Would post pictures if I knew how.

Ted

JRoberts
03-22-2016, 09:39 AM
I have a 1965 Cruiser that was purchased new by my uncle from Morton Studebaker in Omaha, Nebraska. It has the original engine that has been slightly modified. It has been lowered 2" , received a rear away bar and an oversized front sway bar, quick steering arms and Turner front disc brakes. Before the South Bend IM the hope is the car will receive new paint (original Laurintinen green), refurbished interior and rear disc brakes.

candbstudebakers
03-22-2016, 11:26 AM
None now and to many in the past to try and post, always a nice car, couple of the best I ever owned was a 66 and a pair of 63's and all went out of the country.

57pack
03-22-2016, 11:29 AM
I was almost the owner of a 1963 Cruiser, Green Mist paint with the green brocade interior. What a beautiful well equipped car! Power steering, power disc brakes, automatic trans, tinted glass, and air conditioner.
I came down with the flu the day before I was to purchase it, by the time I recovered, the car was gone. Always regret missing out on that car!:(

rockne10
03-22-2016, 03:22 PM
I had a '63 Cruiser as a daily driver for years. But no more. :( It was all black with a Chestnut interior. Wonderful car!

joncon
03-22-2016, 03:27 PM
5248666 Cruiser 283/auto, wire wheel covers, all original but tires and battery with 26,000 miles.
63 Cruiser R1, HD auto, disc brakes, 3:31 posi, AC, PS, tinted windows. Rose mist, it's in the paint booth now.5248552590
Painted the 63 today hope to have it all done for the May Orphan Drags.

raoul5788
03-22-2016, 03:34 PM
I have a '63 Cruiser. It's the best running, driving, most comfortable of my three.

Dwight FitzSimons
03-22-2016, 04:13 PM
I have a '64 Cruiser R1, A/T on column, manual steering, drum brakes, TT, Astra White with black vinyl interior. I assume it was ordered new by a CASO with a lead foot. I bought it from the original owner who is a farmer. It was sold new by Foley Motors, Harrisonburg, VA. Although it is restorable I consider it a parts car because the business case for restoring a four door is pretty bad. The '63 Cruiser, though, is my favorite Cruiser, although the '61 is a close second. One of my Studebaker fantasies is to restore a '59-60 long-wheelbase taxi or police Lark as a "Cruiser," which I think Studebaker should have built. Just my $0.02.
-Dwight FitzSimons

Bullet
03-22-2016, 10:36 PM
I have a 64 Cruiser with Laguna blue interior. Ordered new with bucket seats, has ac and power steering. Will add flanged rear axles. Right now just waking on a n engine rebuild.

Love it!

Mark

JoeHall
03-22-2016, 10:52 PM
In the early 1990s I had a 63 Cruiser and, per the log book I still have, drove it 8500 miles. I rebuilt the motor with .040" OS pistons, I got off Mr. Snurley in Colorado, via mail order. When they arrived, I called him because they looked to be higher compression, but he insisted they were regular 289 pistons. Clearly they were different from the ones that came out of it, but I installed them anyway. The motor ran very well and peppy with those pistons, whatever they were. The car was also an excellent driver, overall.

joncon
03-27-2016, 03:25 PM
Painted My R1 63 Cruiser today. Hope to have it all done by the May Orphan Drags. Rose Mist, the color looks off in the Pics.525915259252598

Sdude
03-27-2016, 09:52 PM
52599 Karel Staple Chapter Member George Newhouse with his Cruiser.

Lou Van Anne
03-27-2016, 10:06 PM
....a 66 is on my bucket list.

StudeRich
03-28-2016, 01:44 AM
I currently own a '61 Lark Cruiser and a '66 Cruiser, also 2 '62 Cruiser Parts Cars.
The '62 Model Cars are on the same "do not drive list" as the '55's and pre 1954's!

M15 Trucker
03-28-2016, 07:33 AM
IIRC, there is a Cruiser registry on the SDC web page under resources and then registries.

jackb
03-28-2016, 09:15 AM
Rose Mist is a great sales' factor with a woman's input on expenditures...

joncon
03-29-2016, 07:05 PM
Rose Mist is a great sales' factor with a woman's input on expenditures...

Finally finished mine up today. And you are right my wife loves the color.

StudeRich
03-29-2016, 07:24 PM
Very nice looking work John! :!: Is there any chance that the tailpipes need replacement, so you could get the correct "tucked up behind the Bumper" curved down tips, Factory type Tailpipes?

Less exhaust being drawn into the trunk from the vacuum behind the Car, and MUCH better looking. ;)

These are the ONLY part of the Exhaust System that shows, and because of that it is very obvious that they are wrong.

63t-cab
03-29-2016, 07:38 PM
Rich, what makes You think exhaust is a problem with those tail pipes :confused:. don't think I've ever seen an Avanti with Factory "or other wise" turned down rear pipes,would be no different ! I wonder if those pipes are bigger size than factory any ways.

Very nice looking work John! :!: Is there any chance that the tailpipes need replacement, so you could get the correct "tucked up behind the Bumper" curved down tips, Factory type Tailpipes?

Less exhaust being drawn into the trunk from the vacuum behind the Car, and MUCH better looking. ;)

These are the ONLY part of the Exhaust System that shows, and because of that it is very obvious that they are wrong.

StudeRich
03-29-2016, 07:53 PM
The biggest problem is your hurting EYES looking at the Common, non-Factory " '50's-'60's Boy Street Rodder look" Pipes on a otherwise stock, Luxury Cruiser. :(

An Avanti is a Performance Sports Car, the first of which had Loud Glasspacks and need to show a performance sound and look, Apples and Oranges.

63t-cab
03-29-2016, 08:09 PM
First off it doesn't hurt MY EYES,likely not the Owner's either ! #2 an Avanti is NOT a Two Seater Sports Car,more of a pre - Pony Car ! #3 Apples and Oranges nothing,Exhaust is Exhaust - and I don't think It Discriminates !

The biggest problem is your hurting EYES looking at the Common, non-Factory " '50's-'60's Boy Street Rodder look" Pipes on a otherwise stock, Luxury Cruiser. :(

An Avanti is a Performance Sports Car, the first of which had Loud Glasspacks and need to show a performance sound and look, Apples and Oranges.

joncon
03-29-2016, 08:35 PM

The hubcaps are wrong also, off a 65. The exhaust is new, 2 1/4 pipes. On the car when I bought it, less tailpipes. I had a local shop put the tailpipes on, not fond of the look but they did it cheap. I'm going to use it for a daily driver if I can afford the gas. 289 R1 3:31 gears. I've been running 87 octane, so far no problem with spark knock.

Dwight FitzSimons
03-29-2016, 08:54 PM
Has anyone else had the same thought as I: that Studebaker should have produced a Cruiser in 1959 & 1960? Stude built the long wheelbase sedan in '59-60 for taxis and police cars, so building a deluxe version, the Cruiser, would have been easy. The '59-60 Cruiser would have shared interior and exterior trim with the SWB Regal 4-door, except with longer rear door upholstery panels and exterior trim. A '59-60 Cruiser might have been "plus" business, putting more money in Studebaker's coffers for the more competitive times that lay ahead.
-Dwight FitzSimons

63t-cab
03-29-2016, 09:09 PM
Good thought, ya it would have been upper class. to bad They didn't think of it until the 61 Model year.

Has anyone else had the same thought as I: that Studebaker should have produced a Cruiser in 1959 & 1960? Stude built the long wheelbase sedan in '59-60 for taxis and police cars, so building a deluxe version, the Cruiser, would have been easy. The '59-60 Cruiser would have shared interior and exterior trim with the SWB Regal 4-door, except with longer rear door upholstery panels and exterior trim. A '59-60 Cruiser might have been "plus" business, putting more money in Studebaker's coffers for the more competitive times that lay ahead.
-Dwight FitzSimons

HAWK64
03-29-2016, 11:57 PM
My first Studebaker was a black '63 Cruiser that I purchased in Mar 1965 & served me well until 1960.Then about another 25 models of Studes.52658

StudeDave57
03-30-2016, 01:52 AM
Rich, what makes You think exhaust is a problem with those tail pipes :confused:.
don't think I've ever seen an Avanti with Factory "or other wise" turned down rear pipes, would be no different !

Maybe 'cuz Avanti pipes went straight out the back- and sedans did not. :confused: :ohmy:

Sedans of that era are supposed to look something like~

And yes- Sweet Pea's pipe is pretty big too.
I did that intentionally. ;) :p :D

:cheers:

63t-cab
03-30-2016, 08:39 AM
TAIL PIPES 101 - Dave I'm well aware of what pipes were Factory per Body type and need no education.though the point is AGAIN missed :confused:, getting You to under stand could become EXHAUSTING - pun intended :rolleyes:

Maybe 'cuz Avanti pipes went straight out the back- and sedans did not. :confused: :ohmy:

Sedans of that era are supposed to look something like~

And yes- Sweet Pea's pipe is pretty big too.
I did that intentionally. ;) :p :D

jackb
03-30-2016, 11:26 AM
I recall exhaust being a very big issue on wagon with open rear tailgate glass. I think that's why the rear deflectors and side exhaust tailpipes were factory.

StudeDave57
03-30-2016, 12:04 PM
though the point is AGAIN missed :confused:, getting You to under stand could become EXHAUSTING - pun intended :rolleyes:

So explain it better.
My point is this- Avantis get away with the straight out the back pipes because of what the air does behind them when they move. Square cars like the sedan in question- not so much. Stude engineers did their pipes that way for a reason, and I'm sure it's all about aerodynamics.
Think about it.

I recall exhaust being a very big issue on wagon with open rear tailgate glass. I think that's why the rear deflectors and side exhaust tailpipes were factory.
Exactly!!! :!:

StudeDave '57 :cool:

63t-cab
03-30-2016, 08:48 PM
I've driven numerous Larks/Lark types with Duel Exhaust "not to mention single as well" with straight pipes out the back and actually tucked up tighter to the rear Bumper.never had any issues with Exhaust,the last one was a 65 Cruiser I made up My own Duel system,drove that one 7/8 Years straight with no smelly issues.based on that I'm not sold on so called " only factory pipes will work on a sedan type ". as for the Wagon with the rear Window DOWN :ohmy:,I suspect You'll have to Drive Your Sedan around with the Trunk Lid open too mimic that scenario :confused:.

So explain it better.
My point is this- Avantis get away with the straight out the back pipes because of what the air does behind them when they move. Square cars like the sedan in question- not so much. Stude engineers did their pipes that way for a reason, and I'm sure it's all about aerodynamics.
Think about it.

Exactly!!! :!:

StudeDave57
03-30-2016, 10:56 PM
I've driven numerous Larks/Lark types with Duel Exhaust "not to mention single as well" with straight pipes out the back and actually tucked up tighter to the rear Bumper. never had any issues with Exhaust, the last one was a 65 Cruiser I made up My own Duel system, drove that one 7/8 Years straight with no smelly issues. based on that I'm not sold on so called "only factory pipes will work on a sedan type". as for the Wagon with the rear Window DOWN :ohmy:, I suspect You'll have to Drive Your Sedan around with the Trunk Lid open too mimic that scenario :confused:.

Wow- with all that dueling you did how did you ever survive...? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport012.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)
:ohmy:

Dad's comments were about dual exhaust.

No one said anything about "only factory pipes will work on a sedan type" did they... :confused:
What was said is that they only look correct when done correct.
They can also look alright if done alright.
But sometimes- :rolleyes: :whome:
Opinions vary.

As for sedans sucking air into the car from the rear- well-
if you've ever driven one with a bad trunk seal, and/or a bad package tray~
you'd know it's entirely possible.

63t-cab
03-31-2016, 12:21 AM
(Post #20) He says " less exhaust being drawn into trunk from the vacuum behind the car " BTW some how You forgot to insert this statement in post #33. that statement refers to function/better yet LACK of proper function of straight pipes and in no way refers to looks! He then completes that statement with "and much better looking" yes this refers to looks.now go back to post #22, He says "the BIGGEST problem is the hurting Eyes",what does this mean You ask? it means there are other problems,just not as BIG.such as exhaust fumes. so unless I actually mis - spelled words "AND I KNOW MY READING, AND OR READING BETWEEN THE LINES" is effective. I think I'll toss "spelling READING comp 101 back in Your Lap :yeahright:.

Wow- with all that dueling you did how did you ever survive...? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sport012.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)
:ohmy:

Dad's comments were about dual exhaust.

No one said anything about "only factory pipes will work on a sedan type" did they... :confused:
What was said is that they only look correct when done correct.
They can also look alright if done alright.
But sometimes- :rolleyes: :whome:
Opinions vary.

As for sedans sucking air into the car from the rear- well-
if you've ever driven one with a bad trunk seal, and/or a bad package tray~
you'd know it's entirely possible.

StudeDave57
03-31-2016, 12:54 AM
You are indeed reading too far into what you think is between the lines.

I know what I know.
You know what you know.
Dad knows what he knows.
And engineers know what they know.

So in the meantime-- http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-gen151.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)
I give up.
Have a nice day.

63t-cab
03-31-2016, 09:47 AM
Mom always said I was a good and FOCUSED reader. with any luck We'll all work on things that REALLY matter, OAO :D

Neil
04-01-2016, 01:45 PM
Mom always said I was a good and FOCUSED reader. with any luck We'll all work on things that REALLY matter, OAO :D

If this thread is still about Cruisers,I am working on a 63 to be put back on the road as a driver. Bought new floors,wheel cylinders,brake lines ,hoses . Now that I am fully retired,I cant use that as an excuse for not working my cars anymore . I still have my 65 cruiser that I drove in the 70s and 2 66 cruisers . One I drove in the 80s and pulled one out of scrap yard for parts .

63t-cab
04-01-2016, 02:18 PM
I guess it was, until apparently one of them didn't have the correct Tail Pipes installed ;)

If this thread is still about Cruisers,I am working on a 63 to be put back on the road as a driver. Bought new floors,wheel cylinders,brake lines ,hoses . Now that I am fully retired,I cant use that as an excuse for not working my cars anymore . I still have my 65 cruiser that I drove in the 70s and 2 66 cruisers . One I drove in the 80s and pulled one out of scrap yard for parts .

joncon
04-01-2016, 06:50 PM
If I'd known my pipes would create such a controversy, I wouldn't have posted pictures of the back. LOL

63t-cab
04-01-2016, 08:11 PM
Looks good from My House :), looks good at Your House :!!:.

If I'd known my pipes would create such a controversy, I wouldn't have posted pictures of the back. LOL