Gary's Personal Stress Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary's Personal Stress Release

I have debated with myself about posting anything about my personal life. Then, I thought that I have known many of you for a lot of years. Some of you may want to know. Mostly, I think that it will be therapeutic for me.

I am now at the end of a very trying month, due to the following two items (on top of normal stuff).

1) My wife, Cathy, fell down stairs onto a concrete floor. She had many injuries, including three broken ribs on each side, a lower back injury, split scalp. The ambulance took her to a hospital Emergency Room. After some care, they had her transported to a Trauma Center at another hospital. Then she was in the ICU and later a regular hospital room. After that, she was in two nursing homes. She is now in the rehabilitation facility at the current nursing home.

2) During this same time, I had four long time (25-50 years) friends die. Two were this week. Of those two, one was one year younger than I am and the other was one year older than I am. The second one (yesterday) was stressed and run down because his wife was having medical problems and was in the hospital.

The net of this is that I have been more than busy. I am getting to be too old for this. You may wonder why I am now on this Forum. To me, this is one little escape from reality for me. I thought that it may be good for me to post this and sort of release it.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Naturally Gary Your Wife is #1................... Priority, hope She returns back fine! I personally feel it's good for You too keep as busy as You can "with out over doing it" and not so that You wouldn't have enough time for Her, "I'm curious does Your Wife work"? as for the friends,it to is hard to see this and we wonder when Our time is near,some how We accept and get through it.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
      Naturally Gary Your Wife is #1................... Priority, hope She returns back fine! I personally feel it's good for You too keep as busy as You can "with out over doing it" and not so that You wouldn't have enough time for Her, "I'm curious does Your Wife work"? as for the friends,it to is hard to see this and we wonder when Our time is near,some how We accept and get through it.
      Thank you for your input. My wife and I have both been retired for years.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Sorry about your wife, I hope she makes a full recovery soon. My late wife passed away after a 20 year long battle with cancer over 10 years ago, it reminded me of how short life can be. I was restoring a '32 Studebaker model 55 and one of the last times she drove, it was behind the wheel of that old Studebaker! Fun memories..! I had made a promise to her that I was going to put it back together and we would drive it. We actually drove that car to the 2004 NW Antique Studebaker Zone meet in Dallas Oregon. After a period of grieving I decided it was time to get involved in something new, so I bought my '63 R2 Hawk. I have since remarried... and sold the '32 to a collector in Norway. Life goes on.

Comment

Gary, thanks for sharing. We are friends here, even though we may bump heads from time to time. I pray your wife has a quick recovery. AND... you really need to take care of yourself, including some "down time" here on the forum when you can.

Looking after a loved one in the situation you are experiencing is very stressful, and if you aren't careful, it will bring you down.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.
          sigpic
          Dave Lester

Comment

Really sorry to hear about your wife Mr. Lindstrom. I'm sure you would rather endure that accident yourself rather than watch your wife go through it. So your actually both in pain over it.
            The loss of old friends is a tough one too, I don't know your age but we are all getting there,.. One day at a time.
            All you can do is love and care for your wife to the best of your ability and try and remember the good times you shared with your friends.

We are all very blessed just to have lived the lives and enjoyed the opportunities we have had.

Best wishes and hope your wife makes a full recovery and is home soon!

Dean.

Comment

Hang tough. Rehab may go, or be going, better than you can tell.

I really understand your need for independence --at the same time needing to escape a bit and express the situation to someone. Its hard to break our comfort with being independent. I lost my wife of 57 years in June 2014. Lost most all my goals at the same time.

I'm probably not the guy who should be advising you as "they" tell me I'm still in mourning. But, carry on as you are a obviously a tough guy and you need to be there for her. Talk to her -- about anything -- its important. I planned my visitation talks even though she was in that very long coma. Make your support what you think it should be and what you sense is right for you and her.

God bless.
              sigpic
              Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Can't add much to the above sentiments except to add my own best wishes. Hang in there.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Lark Parker View Post
                  Hang tough. Rehab may go, or be going, better than you can tell.

I really understand your need for independence --at the same time needing to escape a bit and express the situation to someone. Its hard to break our comfort with being independent. I lost my wife of 57 years in June 2014. Lost most all my goals at the same time.

I'm probably not the guy who should be advising you as "they" tell me I'm still in mourning. But, carry on as you are a obviously a tough guy and you need to be there for her. Talk to her -- about anything -- its important. I planned my visitation talks even though she was in that very long coma. Make your support what you think it should be and what you sense is right for you and her.

God bless.
                  Good words and insight, Dale; thank you.

I can't think of anyone more qualified than you to speak to the issue(s) at hand. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Amazing how fragile life can be.
                    And how priorities can change.
                    Give your wife a hug and keep your partner happy.
                    Falls can be a terrible thing.
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

No great insights, No comparable stories just do whatever it takes to stay stable and "Best Wishes". Bob

Comment

Best to you, Gary, and Godspeed. I've met you a couple times but I feel like I've known you for years due to the forum.

Positive thoughts aimed your way.
                        Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        (formerly Greenville, PA)
                        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                        All are in Australia now

Comment

Hi Gary,
                          Best wishes from Canada for Cathy's full and speedy recovery. You have made me realize that my current issues seem minuscule. Vent here anytime as I'm sure I speak for all of us. We are here as a community for support for you in any way we can. Keep your own health well and strong so you can support Cathy to your best ability. Keep us posted with her progress.
                          Cheers, Bill

Comment

Hi Gary.

Best wishes in your wife's recovery. ...sounds like she could have easily died from those injuries. Here is a little prayer you can take her for a ride in the Studie soon!

Tom
                            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

You and your wife are in our daily prayers for better days ahead Gary.
                              Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                              Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Working...
                              X