PDA

View Full Version : Beware of companies ripping off sdc copyrights

Deaf Mute
03-17-2016, 03:32 PM
It has been brought to my attention that a company (http://www.zazzle.com/) is ripping off our SDC registered designs and logos. They are advertising them on shirts, etc. with no right to do so.
DO NOT PATRONIZE THEM, and get the word out to our SDC members.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Apparently they are posting on Facebook and other sites with SDC owned logos for sale.

If you want to wear an SDC logoed shirt, go to the Studebaker National Museum site and purchase there... or at one of our SDC meets.
http://www.studebakermuseum.org/

Thanks

DEEPNHOCK
03-17-2016, 04:52 PM
I went to their site and searched for all of their Studebaker logo'd items.
I did not see one that was copyrighted.
Please share with us all how this could be.
Which items have a copyright on them?

It has been brought to my attention that a company (http://www.zazzle.com/) is ripping off our SDC registered designs and logos. They are advertising them on shirts, etc. with no right to do so.
DO NOT PATRONIZE THEM, and get the word out to our SDC members.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Apparently they are posting on Facebook and other sites with SDC owned logos for sale.

If you want to wear an SDC logoed shirt, go to the Studebaker National Museum site and purchase there... or at one of our SDC meets.
http://www.studebakermuseum.org/

Thanks

Chris Pile
03-17-2016, 05:22 PM
That's correct, Jeff. 47 pages of Studebaker themed items for sale, but nothing that says Studebaker Drivers Club. Much of the artwork has long since passed into public usage, and is not protected.

Xcalibur
03-17-2016, 06:26 PM
They sell Excalibur items but ALL are authorized. I've never seen them rip off anyone.

BILT4ME
03-22-2016, 05:34 PM
And not even ONE Lark or Champ.......

WTH?

I guess they couldn't get it right.......

sals54
03-22-2016, 05:46 PM
Perhaps the SDC could learn a lesson on how to offer as wide an assortment of items as this website does. And maybe do a deal with them to tie into their fabulous offerings. Offer a discount to anyone buying from the other website by negotiating a percentage of the deal for the referral. Use an offer code to gain access to the discount and trigger the commission back to SDC.
SDC really needs to get into the digital world and learn how to maximize its reach and scope. Some of those old farts are still thinking like its 1967.

voxnut
03-22-2016, 08:28 PM
Speaking of items, in checking out the SDC swag for a t-shirt, just curious where did "We Invented Cool" come from? It seems kind of an arbitrary slogan and at least for me, kinda cheesy. If it was an air conditioner club it would be awesome, but I'm not sure how that's Studebaker specific.

Chris Pile
03-22-2016, 11:50 PM
Speaking of items, in checking out the SDC swag for a t-shirt, just curious where did "We Invented Cool" come from? It seems kind of an arbitrary slogan and at least for me, kinda cheesy. If it was an air conditioner club it would be awesome, but I'm not sure how that's Studebaker specific.

I believe our president Tom Curtis came up with that one. I like it - a lot.

Charlie D
03-23-2016, 02:26 AM
If you have a 6 volt Studebaker with no air conditioning in the summer - "You be Hot"!!
Charlie D.

StudeDave57
03-23-2016, 06:44 PM
Curious thread.

Adding to it-
right about the time this was first posted- an SDC Officer posted in one of the many Stude Groups on Facebook. The post basically said this same thing about 'copyrighted' materials. When I went back to check on it the next day- it had disappeared.

More strange is that I have NEVER seen these items advertised in any of the many Stude Groups I belong to on Facebook... :ohmy: :yeahright:

Just sayin'.
:cheers:

Stu Chapman
03-23-2016, 10:11 PM

The word 'cool' has nothing to do with AC in the slogan. 'Cool' is the current 'in' word to describe something that's 'neat' or 'great'. Listen to the younger generation and you'll hear the word all the time. It's even rubbed off on me.

Stu Chapman

voxnut
03-24-2016, 01:11 AM
The word 'cool' has nothing to do with AC in the slogan. 'Cool' is the current 'in' word to describe something that's 'neat' or 'great'. Listen to the younger generation and you'll hear the word all the time. It's even rubbed off on me.

Stu Chapman

Stu, without belaboring it because I realize the slogan is just a taste thing, I know what the word "cool" means - it's in my own vernacular on a regular basis. I just don't know on what basis Studebaker "invented" cool. They are awesome cars, but I'm sure any car club can claim their brand is the coolest or also invented cool. For me personally, I would have gone for something less generic and arbitrary and more Studebaker-specific, such as a variation of a Studebaker ad slogan from the past: "Studebaker Drivers Club - the club with "Performability." or "Studebaker Drivers Club - Different By Design" or something that depicts a mission statement:"Studebaker Drivers Club - promoting The Great Independent since 1962." But again, that's just me. No harm, no foul.

r1lark
03-24-2016, 05:38 AM
I didn't look thru all forty-some pages, but they do have some neat things.

studegary
03-24-2016, 01:35 PM
Stu, without belaboring it because I realize the slogan is just a taste thing, I know what the word "cool" means - it's in my own vernacular on a regular basis. I just don't know on what basis Studebaker "invented" cool. They are awesome cars, but I'm sure any car club can claim their brand is the coolest or also invented cool. For me personally, I would have gone for something less generic and arbitrary and more Studebaker-specific, such as a variation of a Studebaker ad slogan from the past: "Studebaker Drivers Club - the club with "Performability." or "Studebaker Drivers Club - Different By Design" or something that depicts a mission statement:"Studebaker Drivers Club - promoting The Great Independent since 1962." But again, that's just me. No harm, no foul.

I completely agree with you. I have refused to wear or use anything with that "We Invented Cool" slogan on it. To me, it just comes across as being arrogant, presumptuous and egotistical. Just when did Studebaker invent cool? SDC should do things to bring Studebaker into the mainstream collector car picture, not do things that try to separate us.

Chris Pile
03-24-2016, 04:38 PM
To me, it just comes across as being arrogant, presumptuous and egotistical. Just when did Studebaker invent cool? SDC should do things to bring Studebaker into the mainstream collector car picture, not do things that try to separate us.

!!!!! You gotta be kidding, right? You do understand that the point is to show Studebaker pride?

Please list 5 things the SDC could do - right now! If you can't - stop whining.

MAS
03-24-2016, 06:48 PM
I am proud to wear and display "We Invented Cool" and it makes it easier to talk to people about Joining our SDC from my age group.
The next generation may choose "That's My DAWG' then I will be the one complaining. Just think it could have been "Groovy Man Groovy".
I applause the Marketing Committee for coming up with new ideas. Makes me proud and its "cool".

jclary
03-24-2016, 07:03 PM
Gosh...if anyone would get annoyed by "WE INVENTED COOL"...I'm sure they will be irritated by the ball caps I had printed up. Mine say..."Studebaker Anything else it too common." After taking years of teasing at local events...it was time to fight back;). No apologies, and no regrets.;)

JRoberts
03-24-2016, 07:13 PM
I have to agree with StudeGary when it comes the "We Invented Cool" logos. John I do not think the logo you have on your hat is the same thing. I think the reason many of us drive Studebakers is that they are not as common and Mustangs, Cameros, etc.

Studedude
03-24-2016, 07:46 PM
Good grief!

Mikado282
03-24-2016, 09:23 PM
The slang use of cool is over 60 years old dating back to early 50's beatnik culture. Cool man cool big daddy's got a new Stude lead sled.

Bob Henning
03-25-2016, 12:03 PM
“We invented Cool” was a quick statement, that’s it. It wasn’t an ad campaign, a long term positioning statement, or anything like that. It was a fun, quick, thing. It must have caught on as the Museum has many different things that say, “We invented Cool” on them. They must think it’s cool. As many people have said, “Cool” is a word that has been used for generations.
Does the world really believe that its “Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and Chevrolet”? No.
This thread was about copy right infringement. Not sure how it went in another direction, and several people have tried to get back on the subject, but maybe it would time to watch out how some entities will attempt to use already copy written things for their own profit.

Andy R.
03-25-2016, 12:22 PM
Oh noes! Add me to the list of guilty as charged...https://www.flickr.com/photos/33744622@N00/6366096269/

I'm all for supporting the museum. I'm even more for people showing their enthusiasm for our marque of choice, regardless of copyright.

FWIW, "cool" isn't the preferred adjective of choice, unless by "younger" generation you mean 40+ somethings.
Most millenials show their appreciation of my Hawk - "That car is SICK!"

We invented SICK.
That doesn't work, either....

studerex
03-25-2016, 07:40 PM
“We invented Cool” was a quick statement, that’s it. It wasn’t an ad campaign, a long term positioning statement, or anything like that. It was a fun, quick, thing. It must have caught on as the Museum has many different things that say, “We invented Cool” on them. They must think it’s cool. As many people have said, “Cool” is a word that has been used for generations.
Does the world really believe that its “Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and Chevrolet”? No.
This thread was about copy right infringement. Not sure how it went in another direction, and several people have tried to get back on the subject, but maybe it would time to watch out how some entities will attempt to use already copy written things for their own profit.

Maybe someone can advise what items are copyrighted and by whom.

studebakerkid
03-26-2016, 03:49 AM
You could at least post the zazzle link to the Stude stuff that aint copywrited your link just goes to zazzle and I could not find anything....ahh the search works if you put Studebaker in on the opening page.

Skip Lackie
03-26-2016, 08:03 AM
Maybe someone can advise what items are copyrighted and by whom.

SDC has copyrighted the club's full name, plus several of the SDC logos and symbols. Copyrights must be renewed annually, and many companies and organizations have copyrighted the name for various applications. One cannot simply copyright the word "Studebaker" for everything. There have been several long discussions of this subject in the past. The most detailed was this one:
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?90394-Who-owns-Studebaker-now&highlight=copyright

Chris Pile
03-26-2016, 08:30 AM
ahh the search works if you put Studebaker in on the opening page.

Congrats! You can work the internet.