62 Champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 62 Champ

I hastily bought my first Studebaker, a 1962 Champ, and may already be regretting it. After a couple short drives I decided to take a longer drive. Cruising at 50mph, I stalled out following a loud ping sound. I was able to nurse the truck home and found the following as shown in the pictures. A large puddle of oil was below. What did I get myself into??

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	1750598Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	1750599

The dreaded cast iron heart attack has struck. look for another motor, that one could be repaired but at what cost? There are still OHV champ sixes for sale. Looks as though you have thrown a rod right through the block, bad luck. Doofus

Comment

Yep that engine is toast. You could do a Stude transplant or a Brand X. The 20R in one of mine works just fine.
      If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
      64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
      61 V8 Tcab
      63 Tcab 20R powered
      55 Commander Wagon
      54 Champion Wagon
      46 Gibson Model A
      50 JD MC
      45 Agricat
      67 Triumph T100
      66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

Don't have regrets......

This kind of stuff happens once and awhile. A good running OHV shouldn't be too hard to find. Better yet, find a 259 and put that in.
        1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Especially on a truck a switch to a 259 or 289 is almost as easy as installing another 6 cylinder.
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

Comment

I'm all with Ron on this. You should be able to find a junk V8 Champ truck engine and linkages for your swap. Lucky you're in the center of the country ...

Comment

If you were closer, I would give you a spare ohv six to get it out of my garage That said, I'm with the fellows above, find a good 259 from a parts Champ or a Lark and go in that direction.

Jeff T.
              \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
              The Replacements.

Comment

Jeff, you can always ship that engine via Greyhound. I hear they are surprisingly inexpensive for heavy stuff.
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                  Especially on a truck a switch to a 259 or 289 is almost as easy as installing another 6 cylinder.
                  More parts required for the swap than just the engine and to much to get into in this post.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

At 50 MPH, you were pushing the little six too hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff T. View Post
                      If you were closer, I would give you a spare ohv six to get it out of my garage That said, I'm with the fellows above, find a good 259 from a parts Champ or a Lark and go in that direction.

Jeff T.
                      Agree wholeheartedly. My older brother swapped a 289 with T85 tranny into his 49 Stude pickup, and its now an excellent, usable truck. With the six, it was little more than a farm implement.
                      Last edited by JoeHall; 03-27-2016, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Just drove our 63 Daytona to Tucson March Madness and back, about 400 miles, at highway speed of 65 to 75 MPH and it performed very well. Not going to get huge acceleration to pass a truck or anything, but very decent to cruise with. That's with an automatic behind it. I expect a stick would be more responsive. OH, and that's with the original, crappy, single barrel carb.
                        Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                        At 50 MPH, you were pushing the little six too hard.
                        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                        1950 Champion Convertible
                        1950 Champion 4Dr
                        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Now while I advocated for a V8 transplant, my 170 with overdrive and a 4:27 rear would cruise at 60-65 with no worries...though I'd have to drop out of overdrive on hills and that 6 made quite a racket. I now run a modified OHV6 with a 185 crank and mild cam, and it runs at 80 with room to spare...but with a track suspension, it was rather scary. I can run at 70 and not need to kick out of overdrive anymore.

Still it is no V8, and a V8 swap would still be cheaper than what I built. And Bob is right, for a '62 and earlier, it's more than just the engine, it's bellhousing, flywheel, clutch and transmission too, and probably driveshaft as major parts. The 63 and 64 used the V8 bellhousing, and the transmission would work too, though it might be short-lived behind an 8
                          Ron Dame
                          '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
                          X