Need trunk opening panel for '53K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Need trunk opening panel for '53K

I need a trunk opening panel for my '53K. Part number 308128 as seen in the attached photo from SI. It's the one listed as "New Listing". I called to place the order for delivery to York and was told it was in stock but when I got to York it was not there and Ed's only explanation was " Well I guess we don't have one". I'm a little disappointed but what can you do? I'm hoping maybe someone here has one for sale or knows someone who does.

Thanks as always,
    Rich
    Attached Files

This one was posted on eBay a couple of weeks ago and did not sell. you might send him a message and see if he still has it.
    Mark Chance

1933 Model 56 5 window Coupe

Comment

I would call SI again and positively verify,I would want a better word than "guess" to be satisfied !
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I'm wondering if this is actually for 56,57,58 Sedan type cars ?,to me the pics don't show well enough.he says it was for His 57 Hawk ???

Originally posted by MChance View Post
        This one was posted on eBay a couple of weeks ago and did not sell. you might send him a message and see if he still has it.
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-1...vip=true&rt=nc
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
          I would call SI again and positively verify,I would want a better word than "guess" to be satisfied !
          Originally posted by MChance View Post
          http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-1...vip=true&rt=nc

I did call SI on Monday and no they don't have one however no one could explain why I was told it's in stock and why it's listed in the new catalog as a new item.

I contacted the seller to see if it's still available and if there is a part number on it.

Thanks Guys!

Comment

I would not be satisfied that SI does not have one until you have asked Bob Johnson.
            Bob knows more about SI's stash than anybody.
            Bob used to be Special Interest Auto (in St. Louis) until he went to work for Ed some years ago.

Comment

The Ebay seller told me that he bought this for his Silver Hawk and since sold the car but still has the part. There is no part number on it so it would be a gamble to buy it I think.

Comment

I'm wondering if this is actually for 56,57,58 Sedan type cars ?,to me the pics don't show well enough.he says it was for His 57 Hawk ???
                The seller did buy it for a '57 Hawk however there is no part number on it to be sure. What makes you suspect it's for a sedan? He said he'll send me more pictures so what should I look for?

Comment

Rich, email Me Your phone number - I'll give You a call.

Originally posted by 53commander View Post
                  The seller did buy it for a '57 Hawk however there is no part number on it to be sure. What makes you suspect it's for a sedan? He said he'll send me more pictures so what should I look for?
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Rich, email Me Your phone number - I'll give You a call.
                    PM sent Thanks

Comment

I bought one for my 61 Hawk from Cary's Fabrication. Leroy makes reproductions to order. It fit very nicely and was a great quality piece.

Wayne
                      Wayne
                      "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

The panel is back up on ebay. Can you guys take a look at it and give me your thoughts? To me it looks like the weather strip channel is not there. This would be consistent with the sedan being two piece. Or if it was there maybe they cut it off to make a repair panel instead of replacing the whole thing. I got a weird feeling from the seller, at first he seemed real interested in sending me pictures and measurements then decided not to and list it on Ebay even after I assured him I would buy it if I could verify the fitment. http://www.ebay.com/itm/201545157590...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks

Comment

Rich, these pics seem a little better than before. best I can tell is in the 4th pic - all the spot welds running across should be where the gasket channel attaches and don't show on the flip side "again not a lot of detail in His pics". it looks like it has some curve to it along it's length,that I don't think a 56 - 58 Sedan would have. maybe some Folks here can take a look inside the trunks and post pics for comparison. show Rich some measurements, over all length, top to bottom depth,inner to outer width,amount of curve etc. can't go wrong with that much info
                          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Are you sure the weatherstrip channel is supposed to be on that inner piece ? Is it on the outer piece ?
                            Looking at views of cars with the trunk open looks like it is on the outer piece.
                            That inner piece [#308128] is shown in the body parts catalog and looks like the ebay offering.
                            I don't find a part number or a view of the outer piece in the body catalog or the chassis catalog.

Post #13 in the thread shown above shows the piece.
                            Last edited by 55 56 PREZ 4D; 03-21-2016, 01:31 AM.
                            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

That sure looks like a C/K part to me.... The weatherstrip channel is not visible on the inner side. The channel is on the outer side but you cannot see it on the picture due to the low angle of the camera and the shadows. Both halves are there in the ebay photo as you cannot see through that oval slot near the end by the angle bracket. Looks like a complete assembly ready to weld in. One give-away this is a C/K part is the "bump" on the right side (left in photo) near the center angle bracket. That is there to keep the spare tire from moving around. As you know, the C/K spare lays flat, but sedan ones are standing up in a well in the trunk floor and the would not be a need for that bump.

I got all these same parts from Cary's Fabricating, in VA as excellent reproductions. Don't know if he still makes them or not.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Working...
                              X