Stude-amino update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude-amino update

Since the new Custom doesn't have an engine/trans, it had an ugly super nose high stance. I pulled the front springs out and just put a 2 x 4 between the lower A arm and the upper spring pocket. Now it sits approximately right (temporarily).

I also tossed the wheels and tires that were on it and put on some 205 75 15's on 4 1/2" Lark wheels temporarily. At least they fit under the car .

The car is sits right now (front vs rear height), but is still about 2" too high all the way around (IMHO). The rear tires need to get into the top of the wheel well. It will end up with taller bias ply tires than the 205 75's (and wide whites of course), but the rear end still needs to come down some. Easy with some generic lowering blocks. The front will have smaller tires than are what are on it now which will help to keep the 2" drop front to rear, but will probably need to be a tad lower on the springs also.

It's much more fun working on a car that at least looks semi right [^].

The craftsmanship on the bed is first class...

I don't know what the "Studebaker" emblem is from on the tail gate, but it is just right [^].

I need to detail the undercarriage, tear it down the rest of the way, block it out and paint it, and wait for Gord to get a break from work to deliver it's new Stude drive train.

More pictures here...

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Dick, the more I see of this car (truck) the more I like it. Can't wait to see the finished product. 2009 in Iowa?

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JRoberts

Dick, the more I see of this car (truck) the more I like it. Can't wait to see the finished product. 2009 in Iowa?
      I think it will be "done" by summer, but I probably won't make it to Iowa. Maybe Arizona in 2010?

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick, I LIKE it. [^]

You're right, about 2" lower all the way around would be about perfect. I'm definitely going to follow the build of this one very closely, and from what I gather so far, you're gonna build it as I would. (If that was possible, ya know. ) I really like how you're sticking to that '50's theme, even as far as the bias ply tires. Oh, don't forget the Porta-Walls! A true '50's hot rod is about as good as it gets in my book, hands down. [8D]

I'd be tempted to add a 3-OD trans with a floor shifter instead of the auto, and a VS57 blower on that 259; but that's just me.

BTW, that emblem looks to be from a '54 wagon. Like this one, if you can see it.

BTW, what color will you be painting this one?

Matthew Burnette
        '59 Scotsman
        '63 Daytona
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I'm curious Dick, do you have a clue on what they used to make the tailgate? It just looks so right like it was made that way.Would it have been off a wagon from 54?
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I wonder how the vinyl STUDEBAKER tail gate letter would look on it. Easy enough to remove if you don't like the look, and can be made in any color.

JDP/Maryland
            63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
            spent to date $54664,75
            64 R2 GT (Sid)
            spent to date $62,439.30
            63 Lark 2 door
            51 Commander
            39 Coupe express
            39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

BTW, that emblem looks to be from a '54 wagon.

BTW, what color will you be painting this one?

Thanks, Matthew, for IDing that emblem.

Still thinking about paint. It will be a light color...maybe seafoam green or buttercup yellow? Maybe suede?

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 41 Frank

I'm curious Dick, do you have a clue on what they used to make the tailgate? It just looks so right like it was made that way.Would it have been off a wagon from 54?
                I don't have a clue. The latch mechanism looks like something from an early 50's Chrysler product tailgate, but those had exposed hinges. Might be from a Stude wagon. I should have StudeRich take a look at it. He could probably ID it from one of the screw heads [^].

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

I wonder how the vinyl STUDEBAKER tail gate letter would look on it.

Too over the top for me. I like the subtleness of the "Studebaker" on the emblem.

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Hi, Dick - really trick!

You will get plenty of opinions, but consider how it would look with big blackwalls and a black bed tarp. It is such a clean custom, less is more for me.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                    PackardV8

Comment

quote:and a black bed tarp.
                      I'll second that, JV. And yes Dick, it needs to be a lighter color.

Matthew Burnette
                      '59 Scotsman
                      '63 Daytona
                      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude
                        Now that is a picture, me and Bigsy giving the Orange Crate the once over... (but it looks like we need to call a hand check for Bob)

Comment

quote:Now that is a picture, me and Bigsy giving the Orange Crate the once over...
                          Photo by Dick Steinkamp.

That pic was also my desktop background for quite a while.

Thanks for taking that pic, Dick. It's the best one I've ever seen of my truck, IMO. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
                          '59 Scotsman
                          '63 Daytona
                          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Dick, you really should call it a Coupe-Express. I'm picturing the finished product in my mind's eye, and I've no doubt that it'll be BEAUTIFUL! Keep us all posted; I love progress pics.
                            Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

We in OZ would call it a Stude Ute, it's certainly different and Dick won't see himself coming whilst driving it.

John Clements
                              Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                              Lockleys South Australia
                              John Clements
                              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Working...
                              X