No announcement yet.

Swapping a T10 in place of a Powershift on an Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Swapping a T10 in place of a Powershift on an Avanti

Well, here's the latest.

Just when I thought things were coming under control, I broke a ring on the number 8 cylinder. It dug one hell of a gouge! Judging by what I see on my borescope, I am pretty positive that a dry sleeve is needed. The block is the original, numbers match the build sheet. The real bugger is the car is a nice, original survivor. The plan had been to clean and refurbish systems to allow the car to be used and enjoyed as a...well...car.

So now, I have a chance to buy another member's R1 engine that is bolted to a T10 with a Hurst shifter mounted on it. While I will do a ring and valve job on the second engine before I swap, I need to start planning and procuring parts. I realize I will need different pedals as well as the linkage to work the clutch, the top cover on the console and the rear motor mount, what else? Is the driveshaft different?

Thanks, Ken Buchanan

Bad news/Good News I would guess. IIRC, others have said that the Lark pedal assembly should fit, so you may be able to use the entire linkage. Others smarter than me should know, but if you do find an assembly, try to get a few pictures of it installed. The ball attachment points for the Z-bar are probably fairly critical and may require an attachment point on the engine block and one added to the frame. Be sure the one you get has it if you chose to get the 4-speed variant.

It looks like the pedals on the SBC Avanti's may be the same and it might be possible to just add the clutch pedal without removing the entire pedal assembly so I'd check that first. I'm a fair bit out of my element on the originals but I did spend a fair bit of time under the SBC powered ones with the clutch assembly. Went to hydraulics on the T56 and sold my assembly to another fellow doing the 4-speed conversion.

Hopefully others will chime in with the solution and you'll be on the road soon.

Welcome to the world of Avanti's and good luck. Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 03-16-2016, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Should be an easy switch. You will need both pedals for a clutch car (LarK or Avanti). You can trim the bottom steel pad of the brake pedal to fit the shorter rubber pad - easier to get both pedals. The drive shaft is different. I don't have my parts manual with me, so can't quote the required length. You will need to acquire the clutch linkage setup from a donor car - Lark or Avanti. Some of the bits and pieces are readily available and some aren't and may require fabrication or modification. The frame mounted pivot assembly can be a problem to find.
      I do have a pedal set and maybe some of the other parts including a used pivot, I think, but can't verify that for another 3 weeks. PM me then if you've had no luck in finding parts.
      The console cover and boot plate should be available used. Both can be fabricated from what you have. Fill in the existing fibreglass hole and cut a new round one. Either way, you will need new covering vinyl. Depending on colour, I might be able to help there.
      I changed my Avanti from auto to manual about 10 years ago. Having an engine/bell housing/transmission/shifter unit, you are more than 1/2 way there.

Comment

My conversion to a Doug Nash 5 Speed and Hurst Shifter used the Lark entire brake/clutch pedal assembly. You can simplify the linkage if you contact McCleod Clutches (I'm sure Red McCleod is out of it by now) and request their hydraulic conversion. WCP's info looks good.
        Good Luck,
        Bill

Comment

Working...
        X