PDA

View Full Version : Has this ever happened to you?

6hk71400
03-14-2016, 10:37 AM
I know many of you have been following my one foot at time progress on Lazarus, my 1955 Speedster. I am missing so much that I have been concentrating on getting Speedster specific items to keep my focus on getting the job done sometime.

I found a car that I thought would be perfect as a parts car, a 1955 Commander 2 door hardtop that I could use for some of the non specific items that I would need. I got the car shipped and started looking over the car. It has still the original upholstery including headliner. It was last plated in 1985. The car appears that it was garaged until room was needed for a new car then placed outside. Lots of surface rust and needs floor and trunk repair and rockers.

When I opened the hood Saturday, everything was there including an old 6 volt battery and (ta dah) battery hold down. It also has the back facing horn Stromberg carb with Air Cleaner attached. Engine would not move but I could work on that pretty easy. It also has something that I am sure was not a Studebaker (as far as I know) voltage regulator which has a dial that you could adjust the voltage going to the battery.

I think this car would be to nice to "shoot in the head" for parts. With not as much work as Lazarus, I could have this car running and little by little primer and work on the inside as needed but have a running Studebaker that I could enjoy. I would still keep looking and working on Lazarus, but my concern is if this would take my focus away from the Speedster.

My four year old grandson Elliot when he came by yesterday and I strapped him in my wife's van looked at the car and said "is that a Studebaker Papa?" Yes it is. He said it was dirty but we could clean it up. When my wife got to the van a few moments later he told her it was a Studebaker and we could work on it after I finished the train set ( he has his priority numbered at 4 years old)

I am the horns of a dilemma. Any thoughts?

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ
Home of Lazarus

Robert Crandall
03-14-2016, 11:43 AM
To answer your question: No, I have not run across a car in better condition than the one that I am working on. Because I live on the east coast, that will never happen for me.

I have seen articles in various places lamenting the loss of a nice, but plain, car to fix one that will be more expensive when it is finished. Just my opinion, but I agree with that lament.

Of course, your car, your time, your money makes it your call. If you are in it for the money, then doing the math will give you the best choice. If you like driving your relics more than you like working on them, then having one that can be more easily made driveable would more quickly become fun. Having a less nice one will be fun in 12 years when your grandson will want to learn how to drive it. He can learn in the Commander before being granted a turn with the Speedster.

6hk71400
03-14-2016, 12:12 PM
I like driving my relics and yes Elliot would like me to have one to ride/drive. Thanks for the imput.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ
Home of Lazarus and now Meshach

rockne10
03-14-2016, 01:31 PM
It all comes down to your wallet and your time. All things being equal, you could always find another donor that's in worse shape than both you already have.
A '55 Commander K is still a prize all by itself.

studeclunker
03-14-2016, 01:55 PM
:!!:Love the names of your cars! Do let's hope, whatever your decision, that Meshach never ends up in being melted down!

By the by, glad to hear another generation of Train lovers is out there! That's another hobby that is alarmingly shrinking! What scale/gauge are you working in?

SC38DLS
03-14-2016, 02:34 PM
Do the train set first !! you will have more fun with your grand son and fewer busted knuckles! He will like it more and think of you as a bigger than life hero!!
Totally your decision on the car -- I would do which ever I could have more fun doing at my age.

T.J. lavallee
03-14-2016, 03:18 PM
Having a Studebaker to drive now surely is enticing. You could always raise Lazarus from the dead in the future and in the meantime enjoy putting around town in the Commander with Elliot. I doubt you'd loose focus on Lazarus because you'd be driven to compare how it performs against the Commander. Sounds like fun!

bob40
03-14-2016, 06:13 PM
Have had it happen with a OT muscle car.
I did the minor work needed to get the parts car running and looking acceptable then sold it.
Profit made allowed me to upgrade my parts search from nice used to NOS.

6hk71400
03-14-2016, 06:26 PM
:!!:Love the names of your cars! Do let's hope, whatever your decision, that Meshach never ends up in being melted down!

By the by, glad to hear another generation of Train lovers is out there! That's another hobby that is alarmingly shrinking! What scale/gauge are you working in?

It is HO. Elliot was given a set by his uncle my son. You know what happens when you are given something right? We have a local train store that is a special part of a large ACE hardware and we went there for some pieces and now I have three train sets to put together. I have one room in my house that is the train room and assembling a large two piece table to put all three together. It won't take as long as the Commander and for sure not the Speedster.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ
Home of Lazarus and Meshach

6hk71400
03-18-2016, 04:47 PM
Well, here is how my week is looking: Dash for the Speedster arrived today. UPS guy said he had a "coffin" thing for me. Paul W had packed it very well and send instructions how to unpack it.

Grandkids have Spring Break as well as my wife so the train is going to be set up in a couple of days. Unpack the dash and work on that then start doing a general cleaning on Meshach and undue spark plugs and put some Marvel Mystery oil to see if I can free up the 224 engine in Meshach.

Soon as I upgrade my computer, and read the instruction on post pictures, they will be coming.

Cheers

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

Corvanti
03-18-2016, 07:20 PM
Bob, after the train set up, i think i would get whichever one that would run, drive and stop first. another Studebaker "driver" on the road!:!: i'm sure that Elliott would want that too.;)

you could find another "real" parts car to help supply something needed for either one.

Just don't name it Shadrack or Abednigo.:ohmy:

6hk71400
03-20-2016, 06:25 PM
Hmmm never named a parts car before. How about "Bones"?

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ