Partial flow oil filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Partial flow oil filter

I have an early 1962 GT Hawk, 289 (#P88104). At some point a previous owner removed the oil filter and did not replace it with anything. I would like to restore the original type filter, parts book says Walker Model F4, #1552761. Any suggestions?
    Peter Bishop

I think your car takes the standard Fram F4. I have seen complete NOS kits on ebay now and then, and some of the vendors might be able to supply you with a used kit. If not, the canister section should be easy to find, and you could make up some copper tubing to replace the flexible lines the kits came with. And there has to be a restrictor on the input side (.040" I think) to keep the pressure from blowing the top off the canister. Someone smarter than me can tell you where to hook the lines up, or just find another partial flow Stude and look at where their lines connect.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks Skip, sorry I missed you at York.
      Peter Bishop

Comment

Just change the oil a little more often....

Comment

I have an original used partial flow filter adaptor with the mounting bracket and restrictor for your Hawk. I bought it for a customers car, but it was never installed as the owner sold the car. I don't have good lines for it, but they are available. It's yours for $25.00 plus shipping which is what I paid for it. If you're interested, send me a PM. Bud

Comment

PM sent regarding oil canister
            Bill Foy
            1000 Islands, Ontario
            1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Does anyone have a diagram of how the partial flow oil filter is installed on the head and how the lines are connected?

Ron Acton

Comment

Does anyone have a diagram of how the partial flow oil filter is installed on the head of a 232 V8 engine and how the lines are connected?

Ron Acton

Comment

On the 232 engine the partial flow filter is mounted on the oil fill tube, and is connected to the left (driver's side) head at the front of the head.d There is a machined pad there with a couple of tapped holes. run a line from one of these holes to the filter, another line from the filter to the oil fill tube. Make sure the line from the head has the restriction in it before the filter. It's generally in the fitting at the filter.

Comment

A 1962 GT Hawk would have come with a partial flow spin on type oil filter as mine did, which uses a Fram PB 50 filter. Not a canister type.
                    Frank van Doorn
                    Omaha, Ne.
                    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

If needed, I can make up black braided stainless lines, just need to know the length.

Jim
                      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                      their Memorials!

Comment

Tom,

What color is the partial oil filter canister for a 1951 Commander State Starlight coupe, V8.

Thanks,

Ron Acton

Comment

Ron, just so you know we did not ignore you: Here is the Answer from your other post with the same question:

Factory Installed F3 & F4 Filters are Fram Orange with Gloss Black Lid and Studebaker Vendor "Fram" Decal.

Dealer installed, are all Black and NOT pretty!

1958 to Early 1962 are not Cartridge Type for C3 or C4 Elements, but spin-on "Bases" which are bare Aluminum for a throw away Can Fram PB-50 or Wix/NAPA equivalent Filter.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                          X