Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driveshaft for '54 Coupe 3 to 4-speed conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Shaft: Driveshaft for '54 Coupe 3 to 4-speed conversion?

Last Friday at York I was lucky enough to find a nice late '62+ T-10 4-speed transmission with yoke and shifter for a good price. Also got a "big clutch" flywheel, clutch disk, and pressure plate for a great price. I already had a big clutch bellhousing with the right bolt pattern for the T-10. So, I have most of what I need to convert the 3-speed w/OD in my '54 coupe to the 4-speed. My question is what to do about the driveshaft. Will the stock 2-piece shaft be the right length to use with the T-10? If I have to switch to a 1-piece shaft, would any '58 or later Hawk 1-piece shaft fit? I realize I would have to remove or modify the cross-member that supports the center bearing for the 2-piece shaft.

Thanks.
    Pete R
    Woodbridge, VA
    1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight Coupe with '62 289 and 4-speed
    1964 Studebaker Avanti R5083 R2 4-speed with 4.09:1 Twin Traction

Before installing the 4-speed I suggest to pop the side cover and inspect the synchronizer rings. Unless planning on dragracing, I'd also go with a standard 289 clutch.

For drive shaft, if the 4-speed has a floating yoke, you will not be able to use the 2-piece, even if it were the right length; it already has a floating provision between front and rear pieces. If the engine is in the car, you could measure the tranny and bellhousing on the floor, then measure from rear of the motor to yoke on the rear end, then subtract the tranny and bellhousing length. That would give a ballpark length, to research in Stude Parts Manuals. If nothing comes up there, I'd suggest to install the tranny in the car, take a final measurement, then have one made.
    Last edited by JoeHall; 03-13-2016, 08:36 AM.

Comment

I would check the differential gears. With the 3SP/OD you could have 4.09 or 4.56 gears.
      Not good for highway driving.

Comment

The stock rear end ratio, for a'54 Commander with O.D., was 4.27:1. It was possible to order other ratios but I haven't seen many that were?

Originally posted by paul shuffleburg View Post
        I would check the differential gears. With the 3SP/OD you could have 4.09 or 4.56 gears.
        Not good for highway driving.
        Last edited by S2Deluxe; 03-14-2016, 12:50 PM.
        sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

When I said I got a "big clutch," I meant a 10.25" clutch disk (from a '57 Silver Hawk), which is big compared to the stock '54 clutch, which is in the 9" range. The rear end ratio is 4.27:1. Yes, the transmission does have a "floating yoke." Sounds like I need a 1-piece driveshaft. Is it likely that a '58 or newer Hawk shaft will work without modification?
          Pete R
          Woodbridge, VA
          1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight Coupe with '62 289 and 4-speed
          1964 Studebaker Avanti R5083 R2 4-speed with 4.09:1 Twin Traction

Comment

The only driveshaft that would work would be one from a '61 - '64 Hawk 4-speed car. The 4 speed transmission is shorter overall than a 3 speed or an automatic ('58 - '64) thus the driveshaft is longer. The factory 4 speed driveshafts are very large diameter, requiring some sheet metal modification where the driveshaft tunnel narrows down on the two piece driveshaft cars. (I once put a '61 Hawk 4 speed in a '57 Silver Hawk, so I am familiar with the issues.). It is easy enough to have a driveshaft made to your requirements. Looks like it should be 57-5/8" long according to the '59 - '64 Chassis Parts Catalog, assuming you have a type 44 rear axle.

Comment

Pete, Maybe I am just dumb and lucked out. But years back I put a 4 speed in my 53K using the stock 2 piece drive shaft. The 2 piece has a slip in the back of the center carrier and the front part is stationary. I just shortened the front short piece and drove it like that for about 50,000 trouble free miles. Just dumb luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                Pete, Maybe I am just dumb and lucked out. But years back I put a 4 speed in my 53K using the stock 2 piece drive shaft. The 2 piece has a slip in the back of the center carrier and the front part is stationary. I just shortened the front short piece and drove it like that for about 50,000 trouble free miles. Just dumb luck.
                Alan. it might work that way and if you did it back then you might be right, but what engine is in the car getting a 4 speed? small engine then the skinny 2 piece might last if driven easy.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Dick Steinkamp used a stock 2 piece driveshaft in his gorgeous 53 Hardtop. It was powered by a hot 327 and a 4 speed. Didn't seem to bother him too much.
                  sals54

Comment

I used a Hawk 1 peice shaft in a 53 coupe with 224 and t10. carrier bearing crossmember became drive shaft hoop. Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by Pete R View Post
                      Last Friday at York I was lucky enough to find a nice late '62+ T-10 4-speed transmission with yoke and shifter for a good price. Also got a "big clutch" flywheel, clutch disk, and pressure plate for a great price. I already had a big clutch bellhousing with the right bolt pattern for the T-10. So, I have most of what I need to convert the 3-speed w/OD in my '54 coupe to the 4-speed. My question is what to do about the driveshaft. Will the stock 2-piece shaft be the right length to use with the T-10? If I have to switch to a 1-piece shaft, would any '58 or later Hawk 1-piece shaft fit? I realize I would have to remove or modify the cross-member that supports the center bearing for the 2-piece shaft.

Thanks.
                      PM sent.

Don

Comment

If Allen says it worked for him, I'd feel confident in giving it a try.

Comment

I believe, the '56 & '57 Golden Hawks also used the skinny 2 piece shafts, didn't they?

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                          Alan. it might work that way and if you did it back then you might be right, but what engine is in the car getting a 4 speed? small engine then the skinny 2 piece might last if driven easy.

Mark
                          sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                            Dick Steinkamp used a stock 2 piece driveshaft in his gorgeous 53 Hardtop. It was powered by a hot 327 and a 4 speed. Didn't seem to bother him too much.
                            Your right Sal I forgot about that and he had no problems , also raced it a few time too.
                            Candbstudebakers
                            Castro Valley,
                            California

Comment

Joe Hall you are wrong. You can indeed use a slip yoke drive line in front on the front shaft as the carrier bearing of the two piece drive line will hold the front shaft in place.

I have the 54 wagon set up that way but running a Saginaw three speed. It works just fine.
                              If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                              64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                              61 V8 Tcab
                              63 Tcab 20R powered
                              55 Commander Wagon
                              54 Champion Wagon
                              46 Gibson Model A
                              50 JD MC
                              45 Agricat
                              67 Triumph T100
                              66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment