Daytona trunk lid moulding needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Daytona trunk lid moulding needed

My '64 Daytona sedan just got into a fight with the garage door, and lost. The center (wider) horizontal stainless steel trim on the back of the trunk lid was damaged. I cannot find anyone around these parts to ding it out, so I wonder if anyone out there might have one of these mouldings they would part with. Stude P/N 1360965. S.I. is out of them.

Anyone know of someone who could straighten a bent one? Please recommend only someone you know to be honest.

Thanks,
    Larry

On ebay type in studebaker daytona there is a set of rear moldings. I don't know if they are what you need or a good price. I just noticed them today. I have no connection with them .Maybe they are what you need.

Comment

If you can find a low melting point alloy, trade mark is Cerrobend, you can use a good section of the molding to make a female mold. Then you can tap the dent out with a mallet and a wooden stick.

Take the trim off the car. You can cover a good part with aluminum foil, melt the Cerrobend in an old pot on the stove, pour it into the aluminum foil and let it cool. Then you have a perfect contour of the good section. Putting that mold over the bad section, work the trim from the inside. The Cerrobend is hard enough to keep the wooden stick from over driving and putting pimples in the trim.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Checked my 64 parts car and that part is gone. Got the top molding and all the letters.
        Try this company. Russell's Custom Polishing, Mesa, AZ. (480) 632-7072
        He not cheap, but he's not outrageously high either. I've used him for some 57 Thunderbird stainless repair and polishing and it was done to perfection. Only problem will be the rest of the trim on the car will look bad next to the repaired one.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
          If you can find a low melting point alloy, trade mark is Cerrobend, you can use a good section of the molding to make a female mold. Then you can tap the dent out with a mallet and a wooden stick.

Take the trim off the car. You can cover a good part with aluminum foil, melt the Cerrobend in an old pot on the stove, pour it into the aluminum foil and let it cool. Then you have a perfect contour of the good section. Putting that mold over the bad section, work the trim from the inside. The Cerrobend is hard enough to keep the wooden stick from over driving and putting pimples in the trim.
          It is the same thing used by gun enthusiasts to do a chamber cast. You can look on firearms sites to find it also.

Comment

We have N.O.S. and restored ones in stock.

Chris.

Comment

Working...
            X