Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great article on restoration of the #2 Avanti in latest (May) Hemmings Classic Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great article on restoration of the #2 Avanti in latest (May) Hemmings Classic Car

Lots of east coast people are likely at York. I didn't go, but when I got home from work tonight the latest Hemming's Classic Car was in the mailbox. It has a great cover picture and article on the restoration of Avanti #2

Yep, I was happy to see an Avanti on the front page as well... (I was under the impression that this Avanti was going into the Lemay collection in Seattle??.?)

Comment

No, this is Dave Kinneys' car. It won at Amelia Island several years ago. The number 1 car (1001 since the serial #start @ 1000)is still unfinished.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
        No, this is Dave Kinneys' car. It won at Amelia Island several years ago. The number 1 car (1001 since the serial #start @ 1000)is still unfinished.
        I thought that the 1963 Avantis started with S/N 1001.
        What is your 1000 based on?
        For years, Studebaker started S/N runs with 0001, not 0000.

I just realized that you contradicted yourself. Perhaps it was a "typo" (You call the number 1 car 1001, and I agree with that, and then you go on to state that S/Ns start at 1000).
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          I thought that the 1963 Avantis started with S/N 1001.
          What is your 1000 based on?
          For years, Studebaker started S/N runs with 0001, not 0000.

I just realized that you contradicted yourself. Perhaps it was a "typo" (You call the number 1 car 1001, and I agree with that, and then you go on to state that S/Ns start at 1000).
          Oops, you're correct, It is 1001, not 1000.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

An excellent article on the detailed restoration of an Avanti. Spotted a couple minor technical errors - rubber grommet mounted body and chromed regulator, but otherwise well written and accurate.

Comment

Just a whip with a dipstick to the proofreaders at Hemmings, That is Gary JOHNSON not Gary Anderson, whose shop Avanti Northwest did the restoration. Dave Kinney may be attending an authenticity seminar at Avanti NorthWest in May if his schedule permits. The last seminar was attended by John Hull. Lou Cote

Comment

I just received my copy of HCC in the mail yesterday. Looking forward to the Avanti article.
                Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I got the issue yesterday. I am looking forward to the Avanti article. I always read the 'I WAS THERE' article first.
                  Perry
                  \'50 Business Champion
                  \'50 Starlight Champion
                  \'60 Lark Convertible,
                  \'63 GT R1,
                  \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Yep,
                    Got my copy yesterday as well. Saw the car in person on my most recent trip to Dave's last November-STUNNING! Gary and his Crew did a beautiful job. I have the car's twin in my shop now, hope to finish it soon for it's very patient owner.
                    Dave should be proud, and rightfully so, winning Amelia and a cover story in HCC. ATTABOY Mr. Kinney!!!!
                    JS
                    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

We attended the recent Avantifest in Jacksonville Florida. Dave Kinney held one seminar and mentioned the car on the cover of Hemmings. He was the speaker at the banquet and spoke about the car and how he found it again. He is a very interesting man. We enjoyed his talk very much.
                      Roly Lusted, president Hamilton SDC

Roly Lusted, Past President Hamilton Chapter SDC
                      http://www.thehamiltonchaptersdc.ca
                      https://www.facebook.com/The-Hamilto...64400/?fref=ts

Comment

Working...
                      X