Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pace Car Reunion for 100th Indy 500 - Anyone have a Stude pace car replica or model to enter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pace Car Reunion for 100th Indy 500 - Anyone have a Stude pace car replica or model to enter?

In celebration of the 100th running of the Indianapolis 500-Mile Race, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Hall of Fame is celebrating an annual tradition that began with Indianapolis Motor Speedway co-founder, Carl Fisher.

Fisher chose to start the inaugural Indianapolis 500 in 1911 with a flying, rather than standing, start. Being a dealer of Stoddard-Dayton automobiles, Fisher chose that brand for pace car duties in the inaugural race.

Thus began the tradition of pace cars in motorsports. Through 2015, the 500 has had 99 different pace cars, representing 27 different makes - from Buick to Stutz.

The Hall of Fame is asking owners of Indianapolis 500 pace cars, 500 Festival and track cars, replicas, and safety/support vehicles to submit their cars for participation in the event.

Entry fee is $100. Accepted entries will receive two bronze badge Indianapolis 500 credentials, exclusive hospitality access, a lap of the famous 2.5-mile Indianapolis Motor Speedway oval in their pace car, and a private reception in the IMS Hall of Fame.

Participation will be limited to 250 vehicles.

Anyone have a Stude pace car replica?? Studebaker paced the: '29, '40, '52 and '62 Races.
    Here is the link to the Facebook Pace Car reunion page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1247315675284549/
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Had the staff car president touring there at the first reunion in 2010. Still do not have the 29 pacecar finished.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by studerex; 03-11-2016, 06:15 PM.

Comment

There are several clone pace cars for 1952 and 1962 around. I do not know of any original/documented Studebaker pace/festival cars. They do state that they will accept replicas (for $100).
      If I had one, I would not bring it. With the cost of bringing it for display to make their event happen, I would think that they would give you the perks for showing up to make their show. I can see/understand an evaluation of the car in advance.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My thoughts exactly....
        If I had one, I would not bring it. With the cost of bringing it for display to make their event happen, I would think that they would give you the perks for showing up to make their show. I can see/understand an evaluation of the car in advance.[/QUOTE]
        Lou Van Anne
        62 Champ
        64 R2 GT Hawk
        79 Avanti II

Comment

It was free last time and I got a free invitation for this year also. Attached is ad from the studebaker news in 1929. Was Studebaker the first company to offer a pacecar replica?
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by studerex View Post
            It was free last time and I got a free invitation for this year also. Attached is ad from the studebaker news in 1929. Was Studebaker the first company to offer a pacecar replica?
            Gee, that's nice. Where did you get that?
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
              Gee, that's nice. Where did you get that?
              Nice work isn't it. Done before you plastered your name across your work.

Comment

Originally posted by studerex View Post
                Nice work isn't it. Done before you plastered your name across your work.
                I trust that you will not be requesting photos anytime in the next decade.
                Richard Quinn

Comment

I trust that you will not be requesting photos anytime in the next decade.
                  Thought you guys were friends, LOL.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Is it ironic that the Studebaker that paced the Indianapolis race in 1962 was a Daytona model?
                    sigpic
                    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Art work by Curt Sochocki, South Bend. These were done about 20 years ago by Curt. I have all of the originals except for the '29 which was stolen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	composite 8x10 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	1704227
                      Richard Quinn

Comment

Art work by Curt Sochocki, South Bend. These were done about 20 years ago by Curt. I have all of the originals except for the '29 which was stolen.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52236[/ATTACH]
                        I purchased the original artwork from Curt. Someone stole the image and reproduced it.

Comment

Working...
                        X