PDA

View Full Version : Starter solenoid question

SC38DLS
03-10-2016, 10:05 PM
I have a 6 volt positive ground starter solenoid question. The car would not start - turn the key press the starter button and get one click. I got a new solenoid and put it in the old one had "BAT" on one of the large poles the new one is not marked. After installing the new one I get nothing when I push the starter button. If I ground the small pole where the starter button is hooked up to to the large pole the battery is hooked up it starts with out a problem. The question is could I have put it in backwards? Can I reverse the position of the wires to the opposite poles with out burning any thing out. Does a solenoid work on either a positive or negative ground system. Could I have installed a negative ground solenoid and it will never work on a positive ground system?
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Dwain G.
03-10-2016, 11:58 PM
Is this for your '38 Commander? You may have gotten the wrong solenoid. What part number did you receive?

RadioRoy
03-11-2016, 01:33 AM
The solenoid does not care about battery polarity.

It may be wired internally differently than your old one.

SC38DLS
03-11-2016, 08:59 AM
The solenoid I got was just for a 6 volt it was not specifically for the 38 commander. It may be wired differently internally or I think I may have the wires on the wrong poles. That is why I was wondering if it made a difference if that was the case. I will switch them today and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for your help. I will let you know what happens. If it doesn't work I will have to find the correct solenoid thanks again.

Dwain G.
03-11-2016, 01:25 PM
Sounds like you got a solenoid that is activated by applying battery voltage to the small terminal. The correct solenoid grounds the small terminal via the push button to activate.

SC38DLS
03-11-2016, 01:28 PM
It is working again. The solenoid I purchased was not working no matter which way it was connected. Just the wrong solenoid. I took the original one that had a threaded cap on the end and removed the cap which revealed a push rod so after working it a few times it made a click noise and became easy to push. Being it was me doing it, I thought I broke something internally but tried it anyway. Works perfectly!! It must have been stuck. It will probably go bad but at least I have time to find the proper one to replace it. Thanks to all for your help. I think I learned something and I do appreciate that.