Alternator upgrade, first starting of the year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator upgrade, first starting of the year

I updated the Champ to a hand-me-down Pinto alternator. It took a homemade bracket, an extra wire, and splicing in a Ford regulator pigtail. Then I started old Stude up for the first time this year. My upgrade worked right off the bat!

I sort of wish that Grandpa Skow was still around to show me how to adjust the regulator on the previous generator. He probably could have done it with a tweak of a screwdriver. He ran the Standard station in Moorhead, Iowa from 1931 to 1969 and had an Allis-Chalmers dealership from circa '48 until the end of both of them. I looked up adjustment in the shop manual and was intimidated by the 57 steps and the need for esoteric things like 1/4ohm resistors. Which is why the alternator conversion came sooner instead of later.

Click image for larger version

Name:	alternator1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	1750541Click image for larger version

Name:	alternator2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	1750542
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Back when I had a job, the local mechanic installed a 100amp alternator (came out of my Caddie) into my Champ. He put some kind of diode in the wiring to "excite" the system so that the Alternator would work. It has done so beautifully for over ten years. Kinda wish I knew what he did as I now have several vehicles I would like to convert. However, since one of them is going to get a whole new front (at least... mice) harness, that one shouldn't be a problem.
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
    X